Monday, November 29, 2010

Review: Wake by Lisa McMann

Book: Wake by Lisa McMann
Genre: YA SF
Rating: A
For: Fun
From: The library

I've been wanting to read this one forever its seems. Nearly every time I go to the library, I check to see if it's in, and finally the other day, there were tons of them! So I knew it was finally time to read it.

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to see what other people are dreaming? In this book, Janie knows all about it and she does NOT think it's very cool at all. In fact, it's basically become a curse, especially since she has no control over it and if she is in the vicinity of anyone dreaming, she is sucked right into their dream with them. Meanwhile, her physical body is paralyzed as if she's having an epileptic fit. Not fun and quite inconvenient to say the least.

And things get especially creepy when the guy she sorta kinda likes falls asleep nearby and she learns what he happens to be dreaming about. A little bit good and a lot bad.

I really enjoyed this whole dream idea. Quite an interesting concept. I also really liked the guy in this book, one of those shy, quite types who on the surface looks especially nerdy and needy, yet as it turns out, there's a whole lot more going on than what you can see. Love that!

Most likely I'll read the next one, called Fade, I believe. However, I'm a little worried because I think most of th allure of this story is the figuring out of things, and now that all the mystery is "solved" I'm not sure if the sequels will be as fun. If you've read them, let me know!

Bottom line: Totally enjoyed it. Couldn't put it down.

P.S. Beware the language in this one.

Other reviews:

Bookfoolery and Babble
There's a Book
Books Love Me
Sadie-Jean's Book Blog

And don't forget to check out author Lisa McMann's website here.

3 comments:

  1. LOVED this one! Everything about it from the characters to the writing to the whole setup. Didn't enjoy the second one quite as much and haven't read the third yet for fear of how it will all end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds pretty intriguing! I haven't actually looked into this one, although I've seen it circling around the blogosphere. I might have to put this on the list! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this trilogy, it totally surprised me, YA is not my favourite and I love stand alones so this trilogy gets 2 thumbs up for sure.

    Wake was my favourite, I enjoyed Fade and Gone I didn't think was great, thought the author wasn't ready to let the characters go, which I understand but something about it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails