Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Review: Black Angels by Linda Beatrice Brown


Book: Black Angels by Linda Beatrice Brown

Genre: YA Historical Fiction

Rating: A

For: ARC sent by publisher for review


One day, I got an email asking me, did I want this book, and would I be interested in reviewing it? It linked to Susan's( from Bloggin' 'Bout Books) review, and after reading that, how could I pass it up? I had to see for myself if this book was that great.

And I must say, I think I quite agree with her. It's a wonderful, heart-warming AND heart-wrenching story of three kids orphaned by events of the Civil War, who come together to survive. There's some parts that make you cringe (treatment of slaves and barbarian behavior of soldiers) and there's parts that make you cry ("Luke, can we be brothers?") and parts that make you smile (silly giggling kids.)

I loved how at first the kids are all leery of each other, yet they quickly overcome racial issues to bond and quickly become inseparable. I also totally enjoyed the historical element of this book, and how people, the kids in particular, dealt with the trauma of the Civil War. It's a very interesting and unique perspective we get with this story.

The were moments where I was worried that it was bordering on the preachy side, but it never really quite crossed the line, so that was good. And I yearned for a bit more story about the kids in the future, but I suppose that would be a whole different book.

I really appreciate the opportunity I had to read this book! It was wonderful!

Other Reviews:



Okay, and I know there were more, but now I can't seem to find them! But if you'd like to learn more about the book and the author, click here for the official website.

1 comment:

  1. I heard about this book a couple of weeks ago and it certainly peaked my interest! It sounds like a brilliant book. Great review! I'm really looking forward to reading it myself :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails