Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Book Review: Feed by Mira Grant

 Book: Feed by Mira Grant

Genre: YA dystopian

Rating: ★ ★ 


This was another book club read! The premise is quite intriguing... it takes place several years after a zombie virus outbreak, and the world has come to learn how to deal with the aftermath. Even though this book was written in 2010 (or published then I should say) it has so many similarities to our world now with the whole virus fear and constant testing and everyone staying in and social distancing... AND... the political fall out.

Yes, this book got a bit heavy on the politics for me. Our main characters end up on the campaign trail of a presidential candidate. They are bloggers and in this world, bloggers are the main  news source. The ones brave enough to go out and face the zombie threat and bring people news. Another intriguing premise for sure.

But, I had a lot of issues with the delivery of this story. It's very info dumpy, a lot of telling about how this world works instead of just jumping into the story and showing us. It took a lot of time for something to actually happen. The writing style was a bit dry and just not my favorite. The characters also not so very much my favorite.

That being said, when the story actually started to get going, there were enough crazy things that happen to keep me going. A couple of unseen twists and turns. And I am just a touch curious about what might happen in the next books.

Another interesting thing is the relationship between our main characters. They are brother and sister but dang... they sure don't act like it! And we do learn they are adopted, but I still wondered about whether they are biological or not. That might come out in future books, or I missed it. I don't know. But that whole thing is intriguing to me too. 

We did talk about some stuff that goes on in the next books during book club and it actually does make me want to read more. Even with all the issues I had. Go figure!


3 comments:

  1. This was a fun book club discussion. I liked what everyone had to say. I think I gave it 3 stars when I read it way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  2. telling vs showing is frustrating sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sad I missed that book club. Stupid arm. I'm glad you enjoyed parts of the book even if you didn't enjoy it all. I'm still interested in reading it; just not right now anymore. Hopefully, I can't get The Maid read before Wednesday. *crosses fingers*

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails