Friday, September 16, 2022

Book Review: The YouTube Formula by Derral Eves

 Book: The YouTube Formula by Derral Eves

Genre: NF self help

Rating: ★ 


I randomly ended up getting my hands on this book and was curious about what this dude had to say, so I read it. 

Let me first say I have seen/heard this guy at several conferences for Youtubing and while I can admit he is knowledgable and passionate, I just always get the impression that he struggles with how to actually TEACH his ideas. In these classes, I always get frustrated that he ends up talking about what great things he's done for other creators, but never really gets down to the nitty gritty of HOW he did it, or how things can apply to all creators, or a nice clear list of stuff to do. You know? It's so very frustrating.

Well, and of course, this book is the same way. I gathered a few intersting tidbits, but mostly it's just about experiences he's had in the youtubing world and how great it's all been. I could probably do a page or two of the bottom line tips he gives, whereas this book is like, 200 plus pages. WAH!

Anyway, it was fun to read and see how it's been done for all the popular people. Not much of it can I really use in my own experience and niche.  But some. Yeah, some. 

Youtubing is pretty much the weirdest thing. And all these experts can guess at how it happens, and what to do to make it better. But basically, people are going to click on whatever, and there's not a whole lot you can do to make them do anything different. 

My channel grew really fast and strong for the first couple of years, but then we changed directions a bit and that is a pretty big no no because your audience doesn't change with. It's so very frustrating. So now I'm in a place where I have to decide, do I keep going and try to find the viewers who like what I'm doing? or do I change directions again? Do I start over with something different? or do I just give it all up!

So, yeah, much more than any of you wanted to know about my youtubing struggles, but there you go. I've also been watching a lot of channels that talk about how to get better at this game, and those are interseting too and sometimes even motivating, but mostly, I just keep wondering why I'm even trying. 

It's because I love it I guess!

Anyone else out there reading this trying to do Youtube? Let's talk!



3 comments:

  1. That's pretty annoying when someone can't (or won't) share how they actually succeeded at something, when right there on the book cover it says "how ANYONE can unlock the algorithm" blah blah. I feel pretty much the same about blogging that you do about Youtube- everyone else shifted to different platforms (social media) a long time ago, and still I am here plugging away at the same old thing wondering is anybody even reading it? ha. But I still like doing it, so I continue. Hope you figure out your sweet spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read books like this where the author is all about him/herself and just goes on and on without giving any good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! I hate people who speak/write like that. It's good to know what they've done, but it'd be nice to know how. Sorry this was frustrating.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails