Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Book Review: The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

 Book: The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

Genre: urban fantasy

Rating: ★ ★ ★ 


We read this book for book club WAY back in June. I had heard so much about it. I just knew it was going to be so awesome!

So... was it awesome? I would say it was mostly... weird.. .and yet quite intriguing and thought provoking. 

It's about a girl who wants to die, but instead of dying, she ends up in the Midnight Library where the librarian she remembers from her childhood tells her to think about her perfect life, and she can go try that one out instead. 

So so goes back to life, but this time in her fantasy life and she finds out pretty quickly, all is not so well in this life either. 

And so she tries out another, and another and another. Until she FINALLY finds the perfect life, but is it really? 

I enjoyed it and the "moral" of the story quite a bit. It was a little preachy I suppose in parts, but mostly I didn't notice. It reminded me a lot of the movie It's a Wonderful Life. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I never thought of that, but it's so similar to A Wonderful life! I loved this book so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite read of the year. As I said at book club, it was the most profound book I've ever read. I related to the main girl so much and going through those lives helped me really feel what I've been learning about making my life worth living in DBT for the past 18 months.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails