Thursday, June 30, 2011

My Top Ten: Coming of Age

One of my favorite book categories is the so called "coming of age," which to me basically means a book about a kid/young person who has to go through some defining experience and comes out of it stronger, wiser, perhaps a little sadder, but definitely more "grown up." Here's some of my favorites:

Coming of Age Books

1. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
2. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
3. I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak
4. Great Expectations by Charles Dickesn
5. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
6. The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Sallinger
7. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Dodie Smith
8. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
9. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
10. Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

What would you add to this list?

3 comments:

  1. I like how the coming of age can come at any age. As you've shown in your list. I bought A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and am excited to get to it and I've never heard of The Outsiders. I'll have to check it out now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your definition of "coming of age".

    I have only read 3 books on your list. I love Jane Eyre, and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. They are both favorites, and my lists of must reads for my children. Reminds me, I should purchase A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for my almost 16 year old to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to reread A Tree Grows in Brooklyn!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails