Thursday, June 9, 2011

Character Connection: John Wayne Cleaver


I've decided it's time once again for a Character Connection post (check out Jen at Introverted Reader's link up here!) and after talking to Dan Wells, the author of the serial killer series (does this series have an official name? Anyone?) this past weekend and telling him how much I loved his character, I knew it was time to highlight him here.

Please meet John Wayne Cleaver from I Am Not a Serial Killer, Mr. Monster, and I Don't Want to Kill You. Here's a kid who lives in a small town where really weird things keep happening. Much too many murders for one. John and his mom live above the mortuary that they own. The only mortuary in town of course, so all the dead bodies end up there for fixing up. John has some interesting issues, but deep down, he's really a pretty cool kid.

Here's some more about him:

  • he says he doesn't have a heart
  • he's been diagnosed as a sociopath
  • he loves to embalm people, it calms him
  • he sometimes wants to hurt animals
  • he dreams about hurting people
  • he loves setting fires
  • he's quiet and shy-ish
  • he's obsessed with serial killers
  • he's responsible and smart
  • he wants to help people, not hurt them
  • he has a list of crazy rules to help him get through the day
  • he loves the girl next door
  • he's very brave
  • he's funny, in a nerdy sort of way
  • he's crazy! In more ways than one!
I love him because he's so dynamic. And because he's different from most of the 16 year old kids we read about. He appears to be normal, and in fact the town considers him a hero, yet he is struggling with some pretty big and scary issues. The secrets he keeps! His struggle is what makes him so likable too. 

I'm happy to report that though these three books are the end of this particular series, Dan Wells mentioned to me the other day that he has plans/hopes/thoughts about writing more starring this character. I have a feeling I'm not the only one to tell him what a crazy cool character he's created!


2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you highlighted John. I need to get to the third book. Good thing it's on my summer reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sort of like a young Dexter maybe? I'll have to check the series out!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails