Monday, June 20, 2011

Review: Birth Marked by Caragh O'Brien

Book: Birth Marked by Caragh O'Brien
Genre: YA Dystopian
Rating: A-
For: Fun
From: The library

Wow, I'm going through the dystopian stuff lately it seems! Here's another fun one about a girl who has been trained to be a midwife. In this society, the poor people who live outside the wall have to give up a quota of their babies to the rich people who live inside the wall. It seems completely and totally normal to them. When she first becomes a midwife, she does this willingly without blinking an eye.

But then, her parents are arrested for reasons unknown and taken to prison inside the wall. She is then determined to go in there and find them. What she finds in there makes her change her mind about a lot of things she has taken for granted. She must also decide if she is going to cooperate or resist.

It's a fun book with lots of new ideas. Some a little bit scary too. I enjoyed it a lot. I did, however, want a little more romance stuff! And it wasn't quite as intense as I expected it to be. And of course it's left with everything still up in the air and so you know you'll have to read the next one!

Bottom line: I liked it.

Other Reviews:

There's a Book
One Librarian's Book Reviews
The Allure of Books
The BookBind

6 comments:

  1. Oooh, I loved this one. The next book in the series is coming out soon - I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still excited for it. And the romance thing doesn't initially bug me but sometimes I start reading a book thinking I don't want romance and then I did after all. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you loved this one! It really was one of my favorite reads last year and I can't wait for the sequel! Hopefully we'll get a little more of the romance. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just finished this book, loved it!!

    Looking forward to seeing where it takes us in Prized.

    Michelle A

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this story, and was okay with the romance, and action. I do want to read the next book. I wonder when it will be released.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say that the fact that it does not contain romance definitely piqued my interest. Not all YA needs romance, and sometimes I feel authors force it into their stories.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails