Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Review: The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley


Book: The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley
Genre: YA Fantasy
Award: Newbery 1985
Rating: A

I’ve been wanting to read this book forever it seems, first, because I love Robin McKinley’s books and feel the need to get them all read, and 2nd, because I read The Blue Sword a year or so ago and of course, this book is a prequel to that one. Besides, it’s a Newbery winner, so there’s another reason to read it and cross of that list of great books!

It’s about Aerin, who lives with her father, the king of Damar. She has lots of questions about her mother and the circumstances of her birth, which no one seems to want to answer. She doesn’t really fit in with her father’s household and everyone looks at her as if she is an imposter. Meanwhile, in order to find her place, she learns how to fight dragons, which plague the people now and then. Eventually, she wins the heart of her people by.... well.... you’ll have to read the book for that part!

So, yes, I really enjoyed it! I love the descriptive style, the story, the characters. Everything! I love Robin McKinley books (and her recently started blog!) Her other books I need to read next are: The Door in the Hedge, and The Outlaws of Sherwood. Oh, and Dragonhaven, her newest one, which I have on hold at the library and should be coming available to me soon I hope!!

2 comments:

  1. Has there ever been a Newberry that wasn't good?? I haven't found one yet!! I'd like to work my way through the entire list someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard some people say that they think the earlier ones are better than the later ones... but so far, I don't agree with that... but instead I agree with you and say they're ALL good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails