I was finishing up 5th grade I think it was. My dad went on a business trip to Denver, sometime shortly after that weekend, maybe into the summer, I'm not sure. But while he was there, he went to this movie that everyone was talking about.
When he came home, he was raving about it! My 11 year old self was enthralled by his excitement. Besides, I'd seen the trailers on TV and I just KNEW this was a movie I had to go see.
At some point, we ended up with the soundtrack album and there were some awesome pictures on it. This only proved to intrigue me further.
Finally, FINALLY, my dad took us to see it! I have no idea when it was, but sometime that summer of 1977 I'm sure. It was a the huge old awesome theater in Salt Lake, The Centre, and it was at a time when once you were in the theater, you could stay there until you wanted to leave. So we stayed through two showings of it!
That was the coolest thing ever!
And thus the Star Wars phenomenon began in my life.
The impressions of my nearly 12 year old self:
- I knew that Luke was the hero of the show, but even at not quite 12, I was especially taken with Hans Solo, yet I knew not why!
- The garbage shoot scene was my favorite!
- Except for the double sunset scene which always gives me chills... oh the music.
- The special effects were astounding.
- The sound and the music blew me away. This may have been the beginning of my fascination with sound and music in movies.
- The movie was full of so many emotions that I was overwhelmed.
I saw the movie in the theater that first run about four or five times, which is pretty amazing for a 12 year old back then, I think. Then a few years later, they brought it back to the theater (this was still pre-video days) and I went to see it another four or five times. It was the movie I had seen the most times up to that point. I was obsessed.
When the next movie came out, I was there. I couldn't BELIEVE how it ended with Hans Solo all carbonite- ed up! No way! And then the next movie (now I'm in high school) I was also there! And I was blown away by the excitement. The long long wait for the next trilogy was.... long.
Bottom line: I really really love Star Wars (the original.) Always have, always will!
What's YOUR Star Wars story?