Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Should Still Be Read in 30 Years


The topic today over at The Broke and the Bookish is a bit of a mouthful.... "books from the last ten years that you hope will still be read 30 years from now." Make sense? There's so many books I could list for this, in fact, so many that my mind is a bit blank, but I'll give it a try anyway.

Books I Hope Will Be Read 50 Years From Now


1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (published 2007). Of course you knew I would say this one. After all, as I mentioned here before, this book is already being considered "a classic" and is on such reading lists at school already. How cool is that. I KNOW it will be being read 30 years from now, no doubt.

2. Life of Pi by Yann Martel (published 2002.)

3. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (published 2011.)

4. The Thief by Megan Whelan Turner (published 2005.)

5. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer and Annie Barrows (published 2009.)

6. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford (published 2009.)

7. The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (published 2007.)

8.The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (published 2004)

9. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (published 2005)

10. Unwind by Neal Shusterman (published 2009)


What books would you put on your list?


10 comments:

  1. I haven't been able to part with Empire Falls by Richard Russo and will be reading it over and over again. Each time I read it I am amazed at how he brings his characters to life.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely knew The Book Thief would be on your list. I'm sure it will stand the test of time. The others on your list are good too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice list. #5 reminds me that it is living on my shelf and I might should read it...

    L (omphaloskepsis)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy to see The Book Thief popping up on everyone's list today! It better freaking be around in 30 years...and still being read, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You picked some good ones! The Book Thief would definitely be on mine too. I'm not sure what else would be on mine. It's fun to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Book Thief and The Kite Runner are both books that are so emotional it's almost painful to read them... but so powerful that they stick with you long after you've finished. Good picks.

    Maria @novalibrarymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Book Thief and Kite Runner. I honestly have a hard time finding current books that I love. I liked the Help a lot but I don't know if I'd say its a classic. Same thing with Secret Life of Bees. I really liked a little book called Lying Awake.
    The Book Thief and Kite Runner feel important. I really liked Gilead. That has that same feel. I hope Harry Potter is still read in 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only read the first two from your list. I hope people still read them in 30 years, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Off the top of my head, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, Among Others by Jo Walton, Enchanted Night by Steven Milhauser, the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi, Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails