Wow, have things ever changed in the past four years! When I started blogging (book blogging I should say, since I had been doing a personal one at Yahoo 360 for a year by then) I had no idea what a meme was, or an ARC, or anything about numbers/stats/followers, or that there was such a thing as a blog tour, or that there were even very many other book bloggers. I went into it very very clueless. The only thing I knew was that there were challenges, which is one reason I finally started the blog. But that was about it.
But I was excited! I knew this was going to be a blast and that it was something I would love. Four years later, I still love it and hope that it truly will be a life long thing for me. I love the creative outlet that it is. I love that there's a place to let loose my book passion full on and not feel too weird about it. I love the connections I've made and will hopefully continue to make. All those things keep me going.
Things haven't really changed too much around here. I started out with a pretty boring basic blogger look (wow they have some fun ones now!) and then I finally added a picture after about a year and this is what that
header used to look like. That lasted about a year before changing to the look I have now. I wonder when I'll change the next? I don't see it happening for awhile. And if you're interested in some of my favorite posts over the years, I have it's own page here.
So, to look back, I've come up with...surprise surprise... a list.
Top Ten Blogging Moments... So Far
1. When I got my first comment by Lisa of Books. Lists. Life. It came three days after I posted my welcome post. She said, on my All Time Favorite List post "What a great idea for a blog post! I might have to steal it."
2. The day I realized I had subscribers. I think when I discovered this, it was over a year after starting my blog, and I had 26 subscribers. I thought that was the coolest thing ever! (Now days when some of you start a blog you have 26 subscribers within minutes!)
3. My first author comment! I'm pretty sure this was by local author J. Scott Savage when I did a post about book fair, and mentioned Fablehaven, and he said his new book, Farworld, was similar. I was so excited! An author commented!
4. That comment actually led to my first blog tour, featuring Farworld and J. Scott Savage. I was thrilled to participate. While I'm not a huge blog tour person, I really enjoy doing them now and then.
5. The first day an unsolicited ARC came in my mailbox, I was freaking out! Right there on the padded envelope it said "Suey- It's All About Books" as if I was a real live important thing. And how did they get my name? And did they REALLY think I had any influence in the reading world? Wow! I was amazed and over the moon excited!
6. The first time I had, like, tens of comments on one post! (I remember this being on my "Lurkers! Delurk! post... 38 comments.) This does not happen very often, even still, but now and then it does and the first time it happened, I was again freaking out. Fun fun stuff, comments.
7. Then came the day we had our first Utah blogger party and I meet bloggers in person for the first time. That was nearly two years after I had started blogging. Oh, that was a scary thing to do. But wow, I'm so glad I went. I'm so glad Natasha was brave enough to do it. I'm so glad for the friendships it has created.
8. Before blogging, I don't remember going to author signings. Now that I've started, I can't seem to quit! The first one I really remember was Brandon Mull, after he had been to our elementary school that morning. Wow, that was a crazy line. And isn't it fitting that I went to his big launch party just last night?
9. My first big blogger event. Wow, there were LOTS of other book bloggers! And participating in these awesome events was a turning point. I think my first one was the first BBAW in September of 2008. I couldn't believe the amount of bloggers... and what's happened since then? There's like a gazillion more.
10. About two years into blogging, I started my first feature... The Bookword Game. It was a joint effort with Raidergirl3 of An Adventure in Reading. We've stopped for now, but it was fun while it lasted.
Wow, what fun it's been! And will continue to be I'm sure.
Now, to celebrate further, I'm having a give away. A SIGNED COPY OF THE BOOK THIEF!!! I hope this gets you all excited as much as it does me, and that lots of you will be interested! Below please find the entry form. I will choose a random winner in just over a week, on Thursday March 25. I will announce the winner here on Friday March 25... then get it signed on Saturday March 26... and hopefully mail it out that day. I'm going to be brave and say that international entries are welcome! I don't care if you follow or spread the word or whatever... that's all up to you.
But... I would LOVE a comment! Just for fun (not required for the giveaway entry.) That can be your "present" to me! Here's some questions for you if that makes commenting easier:
1. If you're a blogger, what's your favorite blogging memory so far?
2. Do you and I have some sort of blogging connection or common memory? If so, describe.
3. Have you read The Book Thief? If so, what did you think?
4. Who's YOUR favorite author?