Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Review: Destined by Aprilynne Pike

Book: Destined by Aprilynne Pike
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating:★★★☆☆
For: Fun
From: Bought from Costco

I was really quite anxious for this book since book number 3 (Illusions) ended with quite the unexpected cliff hanger... unexpected because I thought THAT book would end the series, but no, it's actually this one!

So this one picks up right were the last one left off with our heroes, David, Laurel and Tamani, trying to figure out what's going on with this new girl that has been going to their school and what she has to do with the bad "guy" who has been plaguing them now for several books.

Most of this book then turns into a battle in Avalon, some of it I found sufficiently exciting, but for most of it I just didn't care. So I was disappointed in that. I guess it was just to much battle/fighting descriptions for my liking.

However, there are some cool David bits, and suddenly he has a much bigger role in the whole scheme of things than the previous books, so if you are a David fan, you will enjoy that! There were also some pretty cool King Arthur tie-ins (Avalon after all, yes?) that I didn't see coming which I particularly enjoyed.

Once the battle talk is over and we get down to some more interesting things, I was right there again and involved in the story. The growth and the insights into all the characters at this point is really quite fun and it's a bit bitter sweet to see how everything wraps up. I will say one thing, Laurel does make her love choice and the triangle is over!

The author then has a note at the end of the book, just before an epilogue of sorts, that warns you against reading the epilogue, but I say... read it anyway! Then, come and let me know what you think. :)

Bottom line: All in all, a very fun sweet and unique YA fairy story series that I enjoyed throughout.

Other Reviews:

Starry Sky Books
Books With Bite
Books: A True Story
Melissa's Book Shelf

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I still don't regret giving up on this series. It kinda sounds like you're having bad luck reading lately...or is it just the books? Or I could be misreading your vibes. ;) Whatever it is (or isn't) I hope you read a book soon that doesn't bore you at all and that you can rave about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad this one was a little disappointing. I'm never as interested in all the fighting/battle stuff (like in The Savage Grace... there was just too much of that for me). But I am interested in the epilogue, and why she'd say not to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished this one last night -- it was interesting that the whole thing happened in a very short time period (just over a day, I think). There was definitely more battle stuff in this book, but I didn't mind it too much -- it seemed like the previous book was all love triangle.

    The epilogue was interesting! Definitely bittersweet, like she said in the author's note, but I agree that it was a more realistic take on things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what does the mote and epilogue say, specifically?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails