Monday, May 7, 2012

The Rick Riordan Experience

Last year I got to see my most favorite author, but last week, we got to go see my 13 year old daughter's favorite! Rick Riordan of Percy Jackson fame came to our neck of the woods and we were there! I stood in line to get tickets for nearly two hours several weeks before, and the day of the event I stood in line for an hour outside, and then waited  for another hour in our actual seats. All this for a one hour presentation! (Usually at these events we get to meet the author afterwards and get books signed, but this guy is too big. He presigned books which we could buy, but no meet and greet afterwards.)

Anyway, the things we do for authors, huh? Officially crazy I'm thinking.

So I filmed some stuff so you could see a little of what it was like. The kids screamed like he was a rock star. It was fun to be part of. The excitement was pretty intense. And the library staff was so great too, and a little crazy as you can see.

Take a look:




And then he read from The Mark of Athena, due out in October. The kids LOVED it. Here it is, the first chapter:






Fun times. Another great author encounter to stick on our list!

10 comments:

  1. I've promised my girls that when he goes to south Texas for Mark of Athena, I'll drive the 9 hours so they can go see him. I'm a bit sad that he wouldn't take the time to meet and greet everyone... but I guess there is such a thing as "too big". Oh, and thanks for the MOA video. They'll love the teaser!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa: Wow! Nine hours!?? That makes my four hours of different line standings seem like nothing! :) I hope you get to go.

      Delete
  2. I love the screaming and dancing! The only thing I've been to like this was one of Brandon Mull's launch parties. The energy is so fun and I love that kids view any author as a rockstar. So many great Provo Library events - sigh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa: Those launch parties are a blast too, yep.

      Delete
  3. I was there too!!! I think you got a better seat than me though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, we're officially crazy! It looks like it was a blast, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are a very wonderful mom to do all of that waiting! I love, love that the kids were cheering for an author that much. Kids that love reading that much will make sure that books don't die!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa: I figure I've hauled her to so many author encounters that she didn't care much about, it's time we went to one that really meant something. And I hope you are right about the books not dying thing!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails