Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Quotes from Books


I love bookish quotes and quotes from books, though I am really really lousy about writing them down and remembering them. That made me a little nervous about this week's Top Ten prompt at The Broke and the Bookish which is... of course...to list our top ten favorite quotes. BUT, I googled and figured out (remembered) a few of my favorites and in fact, I couldn't stop and I think I went over the allotted number. Oh, well!

Top Ten (or so) Favorite Quotes from Books 

“In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.” 
-- Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

“Sometimes people are beautiful.
Not in looks.
Not in what they say.
Just in what they are.”
-- Ed Kennedy from I'm the Messenger by Markus Zusak

“I am haunted by humans.”
-- Death from The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

“Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”
-- Alice from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

"Oh my cherished preserver!"
-- Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

"Because that's what Hermione does," said Ron, shrugging, "When in doubt, go to the library.”
-- Ron from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

“There is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for.”
-- Sam from The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien

“Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they’ll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.”
-- from An Abundance of Katherines by John Green, but I can't remember exactly who said it.

“You have brains in our heads You have feet in your shoes you can steer yourself in any direction you choose.”
-- from Oh, the Places You'll Go by Dr. Suess

“I collapse in bed and fall asleep with me other hand clasped around the blue rubber band. And I dream about blue eyes and blue nails and first-kiss lips dusted with blue sugar crystals.”
-- Lola from Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

“It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
-- Kvothe from The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

“Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.”
-- Anne from Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

"For you, a thousand times over."
-- Hassan from The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini



Fun! I love these all so much! Did I happen to list any of your favorites too?



15 comments:

  1. What a terrific list. I love Oh the Places You'll Go. A different quote from Alice in Wonderland made my Top Ten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this! I don't write down quotes from books and I really should...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane Eyre, Tolkien, Rowling, Zusak, Anne of Green Gables, you listed so many of my favorite books and authors! I can't believe I forgot to include John Green in my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many good ones!!! Anne of Green Gables...practically that whole book is quoteable!!

    LOVE the Samwise quote :)

    And who could EVER compete with Hermione logic :)

    super list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all these quotes. What a great selection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An excellent selection of quotations, I love the Alice in Wonderland quote in particular. I have yet to read Lola and the Boy Next Door, but reading that quote and remembering how much I enjoyed Stephanie Perkins' writing in Anna, I must get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Sam quote! The Hermione and the library one is hilarious as well.

    Jennifer @ Feminist Fairy Tale Reviews
    http://feministfairytalereviews.blogspot.com/2012/05/top-ten-tuesday-23-book-quotes.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um, can I just say THIS is the list of quotes I wish I'd posted? I adore that one from Jane Eyre. And how could I not have quoted from Anne?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, your Top Ten Tuesday posts always get me thinking. I can tell you spend a lot of time on them.

    This list of quotes is great. I love everyone of them. That I AM THE MESSENGER quote needs to go on my mirror or something. And I clearly need to read that Patrick Rothfuss book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO MANY GOOD ONES! I love the one about Hermione. And the Patrick Rothfuss one. And Kite Runner! *explodingwithquotelove*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked the one from An Abundance of Katherines. Looks like I need to give John Green one more chance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well done! John Green, Hermione, Anne of GG, and two! from Zusak. I love Ed Kennedy.
    Kindred spirits indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You picked so many good quotes. I love all the ones I recognize and am familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the Chamber of Secrets quote. I have a small copy of Oh, the Places You'll Go! which I often keep in my bag to read when I'm out and about.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails