You may remember me mentioning him back when I reviewed the first book, The Name of the Wind, but just let me expound here on all the many ways there are to love this character:
- First of all he has red hair. Not dark and floppy, not blond and messy, but RED. And tons of it. So that's something different.
- And there's the green eyes. Piercing, emerald ones at that! :)
- He's very very smart and clever. Like.... there's been no one at University like him before or since.
- He not only uses his smartness to do well in his studies, but to come up with mischievous schemes, which is always endearing, is it not?
- He's a musician, one that brings people to tears with his lute playing and his song singing. What's NOT to love about that?
- He's bookish. Not only smart, but he loves books and reads like crazy and he lives and breathes for the Archives! (The library, of course.)
- He's romantic, but in a quiet, shy sort of way. He seems scared to death of the girl he likes and at this point in the story (I have tons left to read you see) he's yet to make a move. But oh, so romantic.
- He's generous. He, himself, has pretty much nothing, But when he does get a little money, he always shares with people (specifically the girl living in the Underthing) who have even less than him.
- He's reckless, especially when it comes to Ambrose! And I find myself yelling at him in my head.... KVOTHE!!! What ARE you thinking? Stay AWAY from that awful dude!!!
- He's loyal to his friends, other boys who seem to not fit in anywhere.
- He saves people from fires and other such hazards.
- Did I mention the lute playing?
- Not only ALL of that, but he can cook too. I just read the part where they are going crazy for his apple pie.
- Oh, and then there's the magic bit. Magic, he does it. And better than anyone else of course.
- ETA: It's been brought to my attention (see comments) that I neglected to mention that Kvothe is not without his flaws, and since I totally meant to add this (seriously, I did!) and it's bugging me that I forgot, and now that I've been called out for it... I'm adding this P.S..... Yes, part of what makes him so awesome his is flaws, and without them he would not be NEAR as interesting, because what's a perfect character if not BORING! He has flaws galore, and in the end, it's going to cause him all sorts of problems, but I'm so worried about it, that I'm currently in denial.
Seriously, I think I just got started on this list, but I'll stop for now. I'm sure there'll be more about him when I finish the book and do the review. But for now, just know that this boy gets in your head and won't leave you alone. And that's a good thing.
Who's your favorite character of the month? I know you have one. Write a post and head on over to The Introverted Reader and link up.