Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Book Review: Gem and Dixie by Sara Zarr

Book: Gem and Dixie by Sara Zarr
Genre: YA contemporary
Rating:★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

This is a tiny little book and yet it took me, what, two months I think to read it. Hmmm.... I guess mostly because I was distracted, but also because it was a sad story and so I wasn't always compelled to pick it up and read it. You know?

Gem and Dixie are sisters, and pretty much complete opposites. While Dixie is beautiful and popular, Gem, our narrator, is a bit of a recluse, and constantly worried about life. About her sister, her mom, her dad who left them, school, and everything. One day when her dad suddenly shows up out of the blue, he leaves behind something that changes her life. And not really in a good way.

But this instigates her to take some pretty rash actions. Basically, she takes her sister and runs away. And so much of the book is while they are on the run, even though it seems like they are just "taking a break."

Well, and so after awhile, her sister wants to go home, but Gem does not. It's a dilemma.

Anyway, the bottom line for me in this story is that there is hope for kids in this situation. Gem does the right thing and everything turns out okay for her. Even though the story does not have a true happy ending. But I think that if kids who live in situations like this find this book and read it, they will understand, I hope, that there are people who will help them and that things can be hopeful and will get better some day.

So.. a good book, well written and all that, but not your happy fluffy heart warming story. But we've come to expect that from Sara Zarr! You gotta think and ponder stuff when you read her books!


3 comments:

  1. Yeah, Sara Zarr doesn’t write light fluffy stories but they sure are good. I think so anyway. This one wasn’t a favorite but I did really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zarr is so hit and miss for me. I'll give this one a try -- eventually -- but I'm not rushing ...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails