Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Book Review: Cassie's Cowboy Crave by Kimberly Krey

Book: Cassie's Cowboy Crave by Kimberly Krey
Genre: Romance
Rating:★★☆ ☆ ☆
For: Fun
From: free on Kindle

Someone was pushing this book hard the other day on Twitter and so I thought, what the heck. It's free and I need to learn about how to make/write a swoony cowboy. Maybe I can call this one research? :) So I bought it and read it pretty much that very day.

Sadly, I was not that impressed. This book turned out to be all about the making out and less about the cowboy. Which confirmed in my head the fact that making out is not the stuff that causes the swooniness. We need some build up! We need some character development! We often moan about insta-love and wow, this was the worst case of that I've ever read. It was like BAM... straight to the making out.

But then again. I pretty much expected that. Though I was hoping for more cowboy and less making out. And I'm not even sure what I mean by that!

As for the story, I thought it was an interesting premise. There's this wonderful country family with three awesome hunky brothers, each with their own problems. The interseting thing they do is to take in people through the witness protection program. Funny thing though, every girl that they bring in falls in love with a brother! The other brothers' stories are in different books and this particular book was the youngest brother's story.

He's a little bitter and doesn't want to be in charge of this latest witness, but of course, he does it and gasp, he falls instantly in love. We, the readers, know it's happened with the other boys, so why not this one too? Of course, why not? I was bugged that it was so easily decided from the very first page how things would turn out. I kept hoping maybe some surprising twist would happen and she would fall for one of the ranch hands instead. But nope.

One of the ranch hands was a bit creepy though and his story brought in the element of suspense. Just for a few pages anyway. All the rest was making out. But clean stuff! Let me make sure you know that should you crave (ha CRAVE!) some clean making out scenes!

Anyway, it was a fun experiment, if not for the lesson learned at how important it is for a romance to build, and to not necessarily be assured to happen from the very first page.

Bottom line: Easy to read romance, pure fluff, fun for what it was.

Other reviews:

I definitely recommend this if you're looking for a sweet and sultry, but clean, romance. From Tressa's Wishful Endings

What a fun, clean read! From Mel's Shelves

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. That sounds interesting. It's funny how when I read books I can always see what does (or doesn't work) - like having the relationship between characters build. But sometimes I forget all that when I go to write :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. So over the insta love. I always get convinced to read a book by all the hype and it's so sad when it doesn't live up to your hopes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails