Monday, October 7, 2013

T-shirt Winners and What We Learned from The Book Thief


Time for our Book Thief t-shirt drawing! We've picked three winners!

But first, in order to enter the contest, everyone had to say what they learned from this book. And I loved everyone's comments! I hadn't planned on sharing these, so I hope it's okay with you all that entered, but they were just too good not to share. Anyway, since this wasn't in the plan, I didn't ask for your blogs (if you even have one) so I haven't linked to anyone (even if I actually do know who some of you are!)

So here's what you said you learned:


Words are important and can save someone. From April

 Death and life intermingle. From Taffy

 I learnt that there's always a light at the end of the tunnel - as cheesy as that sounds. Just because we're going through a tough time doesn't mean it's the end of the world. There will be bad things and there will be good things. From Fatma Shahin

 That sometimes it's okay to read something based on the hype. From Kristilyn

 I thought it was a really interesting perspective on Nazi Germany. It made me think a lot about how hard it could have been to be a German at the time. From Katie

 The biggest thing I learned was that there is beauty in the midst of destruction— pure good in the midst of pure evil. How beautiful qualities like hope, courage, and compassion can come out of terrible things like war, death, and greed. From Hannah

 I learned that words have incredible power to for life or death. I also learned that life must be lived now, while you have it, because it can be taken away at any time. From Jordanne

 That the greatest gift we can give is to love be loved in return. That there is always good and evil and hope and despair. That what we say and write has power and That man is capable of evil and great goodness. The goodness is to be treasured. From Rachel

 Hitler sucks. He cause horror even to his own people. From Jenni Elyse

 This book made me wonder if I would or could respond in the same way under such pressure. Would I treat those that need help the same way? From Josanna

 Just ONE thing? I think I'm going to go with words and how important it is for us to use them for good. Even if our words don't do anything that will change the world, they may change someone's personal world. Does that make sense? For example, Liesel's words didn't change the outcome of WWII. They didn't change Hitler. But they changed Rudy's world, Han's and Rosa's worlds, the mayor's wife's world, and Max's world. We all have that same power. From Britney

 I thought it was interesting to think about the German side of the war and to consider how they felt and suffered also. From Erin

Awesome stuff don't you think? I love it.

And now the winners after plugging numbers into Random.org:

First winner: Kristilyn (won the gray shirt)
Second winner: Taffy (won the white shirt)
Third winner: Josanna (won the green shirt)

Congratulations! We'll be contacting you by email to get your mailing addresses! Enjoy the shirts! Wear them to the movie! :)

And thanks again to everyone who participated in our read along. We've had a blast reading this awesome book with you! We think we're going to have to do it again sometime soon with a whole new book!



5 comments:

  1. Congrats to all of the winners! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thank you so much! :) I can't wait to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I sounded so elegant. Thanks and thanks for coming to book club and leading the readalong. I would love to do it again with another book. Maybe a classic like Christmas Carol would be fun?
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting! This read-a-long was a ton of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting how everyone has a different perspective on the same story. Love it! And thanks for the tshirt!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails