Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Book Review: Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Book: Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
Genre: Fantasy
Rating:★ ★ ★ ★ ★
For: Fun
From: Bought at Barnes and Noble with gift card

Everyone said this one was good, and .... they were right! Oh my word, they were right!

So, I had no idea it was fantasy! I guess I've only heard everyone saying.. read this book, but I've never actually read a review or anything. I thought it was going to be some mystery/romance thing. In fact, when I went to the store to buy it,  and couldn't find it, had to ask, then they led me to the romance section. What the heck? There was hardly any romance in it at all!

Well.. I mean. Hardly.

Though the romance that WAS there was one of the best things about this book. You know, that slow burning kind? The kind where you know the sparks are flying but both parties are in major denial? The kind where the "bad" guy is the good guy? The kind where if they don't just admit it you think you will scream? Yeah, that kind.

And then there's the strong heroine. You all love that, right? Well, this book has it. She is one tough cookie and learns how to... wait, I forgot the summary bit....

Summary: So there's this girl and she has been in the dungeon and is sentenced to hang or something, but instead, she is offered the position of the food taster. So she accepts and is then taught all about poisons...by this really ornery, but tall dark and handsome, oh, and brooding... guy. He's quite mean actually. But she gets along with him. No worries there.

So then she starts to sort of make a name for herself and find a niche at the castle. Some guys teach her how to fight, and she becomes quite the strong thing. Meanwhile, she begins to learn stuff about the Commander and stuff about the bad guy that wants to take over. And then she becomes the key to making things all better... maybe. Sort of. NEXT BOOK PLEASE!

Wow, so yeah I was really wrapped up in this one. Perfect story for a summer evening or two of reading!

Bottom line: Loved it!

Other Reviews:

When I closed the book, however, I felt a great deal of excitement for the next in the series and for that I give you a B+ From Dear Author

I read the book in almost one sitting. I had to sleep at some point. From Bookalicio.us

If you’re in a mood for a fantasy-esque book series filled with castles, murder, intrigue, kissing (OF COURSE), horse riding, magic and everything else you’d want from this type of book, this is for you. From Anna Reads

It’s really entertaining and refreshing to see such a strong female character. From The Broke and the Bookish

Basically kids, if you want a light, sexy fantasy you need to read Poison Study byMaria V. Snyder. It is LEGIT. I promise your pulse will rise as you read this. From Good Books and Good Wine


8 comments:

  1. Glad she survived the poisons, Interesting series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I really loved this book, too! It's definitely my favourite in the series -- and I'm glad that it helped me discover Maria V. Snyder! I hope you enjoy the rest of the books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't it great?! I loved this book and enjoyed the series but I think this one was the best of them. You nailed the burning romance feeling perfectly, I couldn't figure out how to put it into words/

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOOOOOOVE this book! (and series!) Glad you did too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this one too! Not only was she a strong female protagonist, but like Tamora Pierce's Allana she has to learn to use being small to her advantage instead of just being one of the boys. I thought she was awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I especially like how you described the romance part and Valek. I his tall, dark, handsome, and brooding self. He is my literature crush! The other 2 aren't as good as the first, but I still enjoy them a lot. I'm so happy you finally read this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently picked this up at my library's book sale...can't wait until I have time to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved this book. Sad thing is that I haven't read the other two books in the series yet. I keep pushing other books in front of them and I just need to make the time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails