Friday, December 14, 2012

The Classics Challenge: November Prompt and December Wrap Up

Back last year, I decided to join The Classics Challenge hosted by November's Autumn. Remember that? Here's what I said I would read:

Seven classics I'd like to read are:
1. Vanity Fair by William Thackeray
2. Ramona by Helen Hunt Jackson
3. Precious Bane by Mary Webb
4. various unread Wilkie Collins that I have here on hand
5. Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell
6. A Long Fatal Love Chase by Louisa May Alcott
7. My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara


Here's what classics I actually ended up reading:
(links to my reviews)
(I've loosed up my definition of "classic" a bit, and also this is very much counting re-reads!)

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens: a re-read, five stars
The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle four stars
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut three stars
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: a re-re-re-re-read! five stars
Lady Susan by Jane Austen three stars
Precious Bane by Mary Webb four stars
12 Angry Men by Reginald Rose four stars
I Capture the Castle by Dorothy Smith: a re-read, four stars
Persuasion by Jane Austen: a re-read, five stars

Hmmm... that looks NOTHING like my original list! Love it! Sort of. So much for list making, eh? I got one of them anyway. BUT, wow, I read many more classics this year than past years. Go me.

Each month we were given a very fun prompt to do regarding whatever classic we were reading at the time. These were awesome prompts and I wish I would have done more of them! Here's what I did manage:

January: The Author Jane Austen
September:Merry Robin Hood Music

Seriously? Only two? I totally had plans for more, one of them being November which I think I will stick in this post anyway! Here are the questions:

Of all the Classics you've read this year is there an author or movement that has become your new favorite? Which book did you enjoy the most? Or were baffled by? Who's the best character? The most exasperating? From reading other participants' posts which book do you plan to read and are most intrigued by?

-- I have no new favorites as of yet! Charles Dickens and Jane Austen retain their spots.

-- I totally enjoyed Robin Hood of course, and I loved the re-reading experience with Pride and Prejudice. But I think of the new to me books,  Precious Bane would rank pretty high. Quite the story, that one.

-- I was baffled by Slaughterhouse Five! Weird book! Lady Susan was also a bit baffling... that one just didn't do it for me.

-- Best character... Sydney Carton from Tale of Two Cities... but yeah, Robin Hood, Mr. Darcy, Captain Wentworth and Kester from Precious Bane were ALL pretty awesome too.

-- Most exasperating character... Lady Susan was very icky to say the least.

-- And finally, I plan to read: hmmm.... I'm not sure on this one yet. I know that whatever I plan to read will most likely come from this list! I think Vanity Fair is going to be high on the list next year. Here's hoping.

Well. I love the classics. I am happy that my list is growing again (back a little to what it was like pre-blogging days.) I look forward to keeping that up next year!

If I can count this post as completing both November and December prompts, then I earn the "completed" badge! (four prompts, seven books) I'll declare this challenge completed for now. Let me know if you disagree!

4 comments:

  1. I make lists all the time and don't end up doing anything on them either. Heck, my whole TBR is a list and I always put what I plan to read next off because I choose to read something else, lol. I think it's just our nature to go with what we're in the mood for not with what we planned. Good job on reading so many classics! I got in two--Precious Bane and Pride & Prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you definitely read more classics than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I intended to read a lot of classics this year but unfortunately am only half way through David Copperfield.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hip hip hooray for classics. I'm really hoping to hit a lot more of these next year. And I want to re-re-re-re-read PRIDE & PREJUDICE before the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails