Friday, January 20, 2012

Review: Persuasion by Jane Austen

Book: Persuasion by Jane Austen
Genre: Classic
Rating: *****
For: A Classics Challenge
From: own personal library (I have no idea where it came from originally!)

I've been wanting to  re-read this one for quite some time now, so finally, with A Classics Challenge as a push, I've finally done it! I hardly remember my impressions of it the first time around. I must have been too young to get it or something, because I seriously don't remember anything about it.

Then there was the movie from just a few years ago that revived my interest in it. But it was weird, because I expected the book to be like the movie. Yeah, that was not right at all.

But first, in case you haven't read this one, though I assume most of you have, it's about this girl named Anne who was in love with this nice boy when she was 19 I think it was. But then she was persuaded to not marry him because it was just not right. He did not have connections? Or money? Or something. So she refused him and he went off to the Navy. When the book opens, it's eight years later and he has come back. And of course, they are put in a situation where their paths cross again.

Many have said that Persuasion is their favorite Jane Austen book, but I have yet to be persuaded to fall into that category. Pride and Prejudice still has that spot in my heart. Though I understand that this one is very real, and very emotional and very touching. I mean, there's that LETTER after all!

Also, Anne is the strong silent type too, which I think more people relate to then say Elizabeth Bennett. Though, according to that survey thing that was all the rage awhile back, I'm more an Elinor than either Anne or Elizabeth!

So, even though it's not my favorite Jane Austen, I loved it. I love them all! And now I finally have it set in my head what is the movie (running at the end) and what is the book (no running!) I did watch the earlier movie this week though (the 1995 or something one), just to see what they did with it (no running.) It seemed really quite true to the book, though I didn't like the Captain Wentworth as much. He seemed too old or something. But it was fun.

Bottom line: I loved it! (And now I can't write that anymore without hearing my book club buddies snickering. Stop it! Stop it right now!!!)

Other Reviews:

Becky's Book Reviews
The Literary Omnivore
Fyrefly's Book Blog




17 comments:

  1. Yay! Thanks for posting your review. I actually started rereading this today. My sister-in-law and I are reading it together. :)

    Also, I had the best time at book club last night. Talking books is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah fun! A sister buddy read! Glad you enjoyed book club! :)

      Delete
  2. I really should read more Austen. I haven't read anything by her in ages. And only Pride & Prejudice at that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh for some reason I don't think I've read this one yet but it sounds like I need to be persuaded to do so! Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED this one, and now I want to read the letter again. Here's my review:
    http://bookslistslife.blogspot.com/2009/05/persuasion-by-jane-austen.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how they can't seem to just talk, you know, and can do it much better in a letter.

      Delete
  5. I read this a year ago for the first time -- what really appeals to me is the maturity of Anne and Capt Wentworth -- not sure this is my favorite -- but I really liked Anne a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true they have something a little more grown up about them.

      Delete
  6. LOL! I'm sure were not ALL snickering. ;) Speaking of the movie, I wasn't fond of either Captain Wentworth or Anne in the 1995 version. They're both way too old but it is the better movie, truer to the book, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a few are snickering? :) Anyway now to find a retelling or something of this one for Melissa's challenge. I'm thinking Capt. Wentworth's diary... though it makes me nervous!

      Delete
  7. The '95 movies is definitely preferable and truer to the book. I think they made the characters older than they are in the book so modern audiences would subconsciously translate that to how old they're supposed to feel to the reader. But the Mary in that one is pretty spectacular. The only changes they make is a cut to the Musgrove storyline and they change some of the Mr. Elliot backstory (he is unconnected to Mrs Smith).

    I don't care too much for the 2007 version (the "angry" Tony Head Sir Elliot and the running!) but I do have to give them credit for NAILING the tension between Anne and Wentworth. I also love the scene where she meets his navy buddies on the beach and they're like "Oh, THE Anne Elliot?" because you just *know* Wentworth's been talking about that girl who jilted him every night in his bunk for eight years. But oh, the changes! The running! The running is an abomination not only b/c of the character assassination but also because it pretty much ruins the best scene in the book -- the letter and Anne freaking out and then finding him anyway.

    There is also a 1970s version, which is VERY 1970s, but they include everything, including a random party at the end where you hear about Mrs. Clay. But Anne has Farrah Fawcett wings in that one. Still, if you can get past the "of its time" elements, it's not bad, and that Wentworth is surprisingly affecting.

    Sorry. I'm a little obsessed. That's why I did my own retelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana: Thanks for all the comments. I'm totally enjoying what you have to say about this and the comparisons between books and movies and movies and movies! :) Anne with Farrah Fawcett hair? That's gotta be interesting!

      Delete
  8. I actually like the 2007 movie, mainly because of the guy playing Wentworth. I like HIM.

    This IS my favorite Austen, so even though you're one of those P&P people, I'm glad you love this one too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, I think I may have to re-watch this version because of HIM too!

      Delete
  9. I'm one of those people who lists Persuasion as their favorite Austen, but like you, I love P&P too. I think it claims my top spot, because unlike her other novels, the lead character have gone through quite a bit. Their older and have been able to reflect on their choice. I love that their making their decisions with a bit more experience and life lessons under their belts.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails