Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Classics Challenge September Prompt: Merry Robin Hood Music

At the beginning of the year I had great aspirations of posting a thought on whatever classic I was reading or had read, using the prompts found over at November's Autumn  every month. I think I've done ONE! That's so frustrating!

But this month, I want to participating in answering this prompt by sharing what MUSIC I think goes with my current classic reading. Sounds like one I can't pass up, right?

The book I've been reading all summer long now is The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle. What a fun book! I love the writing and the language. Hopefully a review will be coming soon, but then, let me just say, that it's made up of a bunch of different Robin Hood adventures, some more engaging than others, so perhaps that's part of my issue with just getting it read already!

Anyway, everyone is always happy and jolly! Lusty and merry! I picture them strutting about and dancing and having such a grand old time. Here's a passage that I read just last night to illustrate:

After jolly Robin had left Little John at the forking of the roads, he walked merrily onward in the mellow sunshine that shone about him. Ever and anon he would skip and leap or sing a snatch of song, for pure joyousness of the day: for because of the sweetness of the springtide, his heart was as lusty within him as that of a colt newly turned out to grass.
I'm totally hearing music! Aren't you. And lucky for us all, I found just what was in my head!

Here it is:




Well, at least for me, that totally fits! What do you think?

Here's hoping I can do some more of these prompts. Maybe I can even go back and catch up on a few. I bet no one would care! :)






7 comments:

  1. I love it! At some point I want to read The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood and I might just have to come find this post and listen to this little song on repeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorren: LOL! I hope you do! The book is awesome stuff.

      Delete
  2. That excerpt is hilarious! I can't imagine Robin Hood merrily skipping through the wood, leaping for joy. I'm really excited to read your review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa: Oh my, they are SO VERY MERRY in this book! It's wonderful. I love it.

      Delete
  3. Oh my. I would have a hard time getting something that old fashioned read too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read it this month as well. Yes, there are so many ballads in it, and I'm quite curious how to sing them. Nice pick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, it fits very perfectly I think, although I haven't read the book yet, but from your quote, I think the song fits well. Good pick!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails