Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday Rewind: Favorite Bookish Scenes (a quiz)


Today's top ten list over at The Broke and the Bookish is a REWIND...or in other words, I prompt we missed or want to do again. And, actually, I'm not sure we've done this prompt, this one I've chosen to do, before. I may have just made it up. Which in that case, it's actually a "freebie" instead of a "rewind!"

But no matter. What I've got here for you is some of my favorite bookish scenes. Can you guess them? Answers are hidden at the end.

Top Ten Eight (sorry I got too tired) Favorite Scenes from Some Favorite Books
(taken from both old and new books)

1. 

After a silence of several minutes he came towards her in an agitated manner, and thus began. "In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." Her astonishment was beyond expression. She started, colored,  doubted, and was silent. This he considered sufficient encouragement, and the avowal of all that he felt and had long felt for her, immediately followed. 


2.

He held out his hand; I gave him mine: he took it first in one, then in both his own. "You have saved my life: I have a pleasure in owing you so immense a debt  I cannot say more. Nothing else that is being would have been tolerable to me in the character or creditor for such an obligation  but you; it is different I feel your benefit no burden." He paused, gazed at me, words almost visible trembled on his lips  but his voice was checked  "Good night again, sir. There is no debt,benefit, burden, obligation , in the case." 

"I knew," he continued, "you would do me good in some way, at some time; I saw it in your eyes when I first beheld you, their expression and smile did not" (again he stopped) "did not" (he proceeded hastily) "strike delight to my very in most heart so for nothing. People talk of natural sympathies, I have heard of good genii, there are grains of truth in the wildest fable. My cherished preserver, good night!"

3. 

When he sees that I didn't hear him, he leans forward to my ear again. I can't think of the last time I was so close to another person. I can feel the rise and fall of his chest when he breaths. His words are warm in my ear: "Are you afraid?"  I don't know what I am right now, but it's not afraid  I shake my head. He takes my ponytail in his hand, his fingers touch my neck and then he tucks my hair into my collar, out of the reach of the wind. He avoids my gaze. Then he links his arms back around me and pushes his calf into Corr's side. Corr springs into the air.

4.

He took the offered hand eagerly. "It wasn't particularly good of me at all. I was pleased to be able to do you some small service. Are we going to be friends after this? Have you really forgiven me my old fault?"

 She laughed and tried unsuccessfully to withdraw her hand. "I forgave you that day by the pond landing  although I didn't know it. What a stubborn little goose I was. I've been, I may as well make a complete confession, I've been sorry ever since." 

"We are going to be the best of friends," he said jubilantly. "We were born to be good friends. You've thwarted destiny long enough."

5.

The world was a formless blur, and yet something was there, moving, and suddenly the pressure on her legs was gone  The massive DORD machine flew across the room, the world rang in her ears. Strong arms pulled her clear of the wreckage and she tried to focus. Someone was holding her, carrying her, checking for wounds. 

"Thank you," she coughed. Her voice was so quiet she could barely hear herself. She clung to her rescuer tightly, "I think...he got away." 

"I'm right here. "

6.

She swiped her sweaty hand on her pants. He got back into his stance, but only for a moment before he straightened and tossed his blade aside. "What are you doing?" she asked.

"I can't concentrate. I thought I could do this." He put his hands up in defeat.  "Can't." Then he came closer. She didn't think her heart could beat any faster, but then it did, faster with every step he took toward her, until it hammered against her chest, making her breathless when he stopped right in front of her. Her wooden blade rested on his chest. She started at it, her heart in her throat. She stared at the way it pressed into his shirt. 

"I've been watching you and him. Wanting it to be me training with you." His shoulders came up. "I don't want to do it now." 

"Why?" Her voice was high and thin. He smiled, a flash of shyness, before he leaned close. "There are other things I'd rather do when I'm alone with you. "

Time to step off the edge. "Then do them."

7.

"But for you, dear stranger, I should not be so composed  for I am naturally a poor little thing, faint of heart; nor should I have been able to raise my thoughts to Him who was put to death, that we might have hope and comfort here today. I think you were sent to me by Heaven."

"Or you to me," he says. "Keep your eyes upon me, dear child, and mind no other other object."

"I mind nothing while I hold your hand. I shall mind nothing when I let it go, if they are rapid."

"They will be rapid. Fear not!"

8.

The music hits low. The voice reaches high.

It's the music of hearts again, but much better this time, and we move and turn and her breath places itself on my neck. "Mmmm," she moans gently, and we dance on the path. We hold each other. At one point, I let go and twirl her slowly.  She comes back and it's a small, small kiss she gives me on the neck when she returns.

I love you, I feel like saying, but there's no need for that.



Answers hidden below (simply drag and highlight over the space):

1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
2. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
3. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
4. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
5. Partials by Dan Wells
6. Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
7. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
8. I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak


Did you get them? Some were easy, yes? Some maybe not so much? Did I include any of your favorite bookish scenes? What scenes would you include in your list?


10 comments:

  1. that was tough but glad to see the answers. I love 2,3,4 :)

    ah I should read them again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie: Makes me want to read some again too!

      Delete
  2. I only got the first one, the easiest one. To my credit, although it isn't a good thing, I've only read the first one. I totally suck!

    My TTT Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni: And I'm so glad that you HAVE read that first one! :)

      Delete
  3. How fun! Although I've read several of these books, I only got one of the answers correct :( It was #6, of course. I can't believe I missed #4 from one of my favorite literary couples of all time. Oh, the shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: Thanks for trying! I love love love that scene in #6! :)

      Delete
  4. Ha. I got the classics. I recognized #6 but couldn't place it. I guess that says something about me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fun! I only got #1 and #2, because they're the only ones in your list that I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun idea! I got pride and prejudice and Jane eyre. I thought number 3 was twilight though! oops :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike really enjoyed Partials, this little bit makes me want to go check it out and read it myself.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails