Saturday, April 20, 2013

Book Review: Doppelganger by Milda Harris

Book: Doppelganger by Milda Harris
Genre: YA paranormal
Rating: ★★★☆☆
For: Review
From: ebook bought at Amazon

Yet another book that slipped on in under the radar! Actually, this author approached me awhile back to participate in my Authors Pick Five feature and I said, sure! (See that post here.) But first I wanted to read one of her books, which I found easy (and cheap!) on Amazon.

This story is about a high school girl (named Citrus) who discovers when she gets to school that day that she is already there! Well, someone who looks like her, exactly like her. This freaks her out of course and she can't figure out what's going on. She pulls aside her boy crush and they, together, try to understand what's going on, who else has been "taken over" and what they should do about it.

It's a fun quirky story. I found myself going up and down in my interest level, however. I think it is best suited to a bit younger, perhaps even MG crowd. This girl, Citrus, is quite the character! We are so very much in her head and are privy to ALL her stream of conscious thoughts! Sometimes I found that to be fun, and sometimes it became a but much! She asks herself question after question, and repeats her thoughts over and over and over. She is, shall we say, going a bit crazy with this weird experience she is having!

So, for me, the first bit was fun and moved quite quickly, then the middle lagged a bit, and then the end was quite exciting and crazy and contained quite the twist that I did not see coming at all. That was great! And now it makes the story much more interesting and poses the question, how the heck will they deal with THAT?

Because, of course, then it ends and there are more books! Of course!

Bottom line: A fun quirky read geared for the younger teen set.

Other Reviews:

This is a great book for those who love and remembered the Animorphs. From Lizzy's Dark Fiction

I would recommend this book for a quick read, but be aware you will walk away wanting more. Which is both a good and bad thing. From The Book Maven

I am not exactly sure if we are dealing with a paranormal element or a sci-fi. I was intrigued the whole time just trying to figure that out. From Paranormal Wastelands

The action is in perfect balance with Citrus's amusing internal dialogue. From YA Reviews and News



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails