Friday, April 12, 2013

Movie Review: Jack the Giant Slayer

Movie: Jack the Giant Slayer
Genre: Fantasy
Starring: Nicholas HoultEwan McGregorStanley Tucci
Rating: PG-13
My Rating: Two thumbs up!

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. A perfect mix of romance, adventure, fairy-telling and quirky-ness. It reminded me somewhat of The Princess Bride in a way. There's a farm boy, and a princess and a really wicked adviser to the king with his over-the-top silly side kick, and of course there's some giants (The Princess Bride only has one!) and.... a really cool bean stalk (instead of the Fire Swamp I guess!)


The story is a fun take on Jack and the beanstalk, as you probably know. There's a cool back story to the giant lore told through a fairy tale that's read early on to both our characters, Jack and the princess. They (the giants) have been banned to the sky forever! But then, one day, when Jack is trying to sel his horse and cart and ends up with beans instead, which then, one accidentally grows, which suddenly transports the princess to the sky (Why is the princess is by the beanstalk? You'll have to watch the movie!) and she is lost up there!

Now, of course, she must be rescued!


Meanwhile there's the adviser dude who has his own agenda, because he has access to a magic crown which will cause the giants to fall down and worship him. How can he use this to his advantage? Yes, it's not good.

Ah, such a fun movie! I loved it. Ewan is awesome as the dashing king's guard dude, and Nicholas Hoult makes a most perfect Jack! And the giants are pulled off with some really cool special effects, complete with a sweet nod to Arnold Schwarzenegger  Many inside jokes I probably didn't get.

And the end? With the crown? Just made me giggle! Such a fun twist!


Bottom line: If you are in the mood for a simple, fun adventure with a bit of quirky-ness, don't miss this one.

Here's the trailer if you  haven't seen it:




Oh, now some observation on recent previews:

What movies have you seen and loved lately? Which new ones are you especially looking forward to?

17 comments:

  1. Yes I want to see all those things and have you seen the matt damon new movie..that looks good. Yes excited for cumberbatch , and yes I want to see this movie too. thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie: I can't think of which one is the new Matt Damon movie. But yes, I love him. :)

      Delete
  2. Is that Stanley Tucci!?!? I need to go see this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is indeed Stanley Tucci. I was quite surprised to see him in it. He was awesome as always!

      Delete
    2. Kami: yes, you DO need to!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed the movie! And, wasn't Ewan awesome? Sigh. He's always awesome. And, hair. Double sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to see this movie!! Not sure if I will make it while it is in theaters though.

    I am a devoted fan to Christopher Reeve as Superman, but I have more hope for this movie than the previous one that was done. (BUT, I was a huge fan of Smallville, but I consider that something on different level.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tif: That why I hurried and went last week. I wanted to catch it before it left the theater, not sure if it's still there now or not.

      Delete
  5. I was thinking the same thing about Morgan Freeman!! I might check this movie out...It looked a bit too silly for my taste...but I bet hubby would like it;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa: I would say it's silly in a good way. I'm not much for silliness either, it just depends. This kind, I enjoyed. :)

      Delete
  6. Is it just me, or are none of my pictures in this post working? Sheesh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't fix them either, so they are all REMOVED! Whatever.

      Delete
    2. I noticed that too. But, I wasn't sure if it was just my connection. Sorry they didn't work out. :(

      Delete
  7. I am sorry... I just didn't like this movie. BORING! I don't know why. I liked the idea of the movie. But I think maybe it was just too long. But I am glad you loved it!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't have this on my list of movies to see, but now I'm intrigued.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails