Sunday, April 7, 2013

What I Did On My Spring Break Vacation

We've done some pretty cool things for spring break vacations in the past. Two different cruises, hauling our trailer to San Francisco, driving to San Diego, driving to Phoenix, seeing Mesa Verde, just to name a few.

But this spring break was really different. The kids went their separate ways and we, the parents, stayed home! Weird!

The youngest went to Disneyland with the school's orchestra and choir. And the 18 year old flew on his own to Texas to hang out with a friend who moved there several months ago.

You'd think with our sudden freedom from kid responsibilities we would be taking off on our own, or doing something semi-exciting. But we had work, and we didn't really have enough time to do anything "real" so, we just stayed home and did our normal things sans kids.

Like:

-- reading a lot (I was actually sort of stuck on the reading until I picked up Daughter of Smoke and Bone.Wow.)
-- catching up on Revenge and Vampire Diaries (Elijah came back!)
-- going out to eat, just once though. The Easter leftovers lasted FOREVER!
-- going to TWO movies (so I guess this may have been a bit unusual)
-- going to one of those movies all by myself! I may now have something to cross off my bucket list! I saw Jack and I LOVED it. Official review to come soon.
-- spending money at Hobby Lobby with this result:

I've been wanting to frame this picture forever.

I bought words for the wall! And a new frame for the new family picture.
And then rearranged it all.
(I thought it would be fun for the kids to come home to something "new.")

-- not having to go to the store every other day for milk, bread, cereal and lunch snacks.
-- not having to coordinate the car usage. Interesting how much that stresses me out.
-- going for three straight worry-free days! I decided during those three days I truly would try to lay down all stress and not worry and just relax. I think it actually worked. And that was the most awesome part of this spring break!

Everyone came home safe and sound. I did worry on their travel days, I mean, how could I not, right? But all was well, everyone had a great time. Now this weekend with LDS conference happening, the break sort of continues, and then tomorrow... we'll be back at the normal routine!

For a few weeks, anyway, and then everything will change again! To life, to life!


11 comments:

  1. I love the new wall arrangement and the photo! I listened to Daughter of Smoke and Bone on audio recently, and it definitely deserved an Audie nomination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I love vacations, I have been craving a stay-cation forever. Sounds like you really made the most of yours and even got to have alone time. Love the new arrangement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa: It was pretty nice, even though I love going places too.

      Delete
  3. What a relaxing stay-cation...minus the stressing! I actually love stay-cations and relish the days when I can direct myself(you know...showers/reading/shopping/outings) and do what I want when I want. I'm glad you found a great book to pass the time with AND I'm so glad that all the kiddos returned home safe and sound. I especially love the relaxation of Conference weekend. It just fills me up in more ways than one. Happy Spring!

    PS...I loved getting a letter again! Thanks, thanks, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes a stay-cation is nice. Scott will sometimes say "why don't you go out and do something" to which I'll reply "everything I want to do is HERE...can YOU guys go out so I can play?" ;)

    The one thing that got me from this post was going to the store every other day. I guess this is the type of thing that I look forward to as kiddos get older (and more in number?). Ha! Glad you had some stress-free days. And the movies!! Sadly I cannot remember the last movie I saw in the theater. Probably Les Miserables? Is there anything worth seeing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish: I love thinking of you asking to stay home while your husband and baby go on out! :) Awesome.

      Hmmm... I really did love Jack! It reminded of The Princess Bride if you are fan of that show.

      Delete
  5. wow that word wall. I like alot. Yeah for conference this weekend. that does sound life a different vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie: The word wall has been a work in progress for awhile. I think I like how it looks now, finally.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a wonderful vacation!! I would take that any day!! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails