Friday, April 5, 2013

Movie Review: The Host

Movie: The Host
Genre: SciFi
Starring:  Saoirse Ronan, Max Irons, Jake Abel
Rating: PG-13
My Rating: One and a half thumbs up. 

I guess this movie isn't getting the best reviews from the critics, but what do they know? I always want to decide for myself anyway.. usually (sometimes I believe them.) So I went with an open mind, and... I liked it just fine!

If you've read the book you'll know the general plot, but if you haven't, here it is. An alien race has taken over, they call themselves "souls" and they plant themselves into human bodies. When one particular human, Melanie, is taken over by her alien, Wanderer, she doesn't go quietly. Which means there's now two minds inside one body and they are at odds.

After not very long, however, Melanie talks Wanderer into running away and they find a human colony hiding in a desert cave. It's there that things really get complicated.

We went out to eat just before the movie and the waitress warned us that the "voice in the head" bits were a little cheesy so I particularly noticed that. And yes, it was a little cheesy, but I'm not sure how they could of done this otherwise. After awhile, I got used to it.



I thought the casting was great. The leader of the human camp, Jeb I think his name is, was perfect. The whole time I kept thinking it was Jeff Bridges, but I couldn't quite make that work. Turns out it's William Hurt. He is perfect. The two love interest guys, they were great too (the son of Jeremy Irons? Anyone?) I had to get used to the girl (Melanie/Wanda) but she wasn't bad either!



Anyway, in the end it was all sorts of emotional and got me feeling perfectly weepy. Which is a good thing in a movie, right? Oh, and also... lots of kissing. :)

Bottom line: I liked it!


8 comments:

  1. I'm not sure whether I want to see this movie. But your review makes me leaning towards maybe. My problem is that I loved the book, but I imagined the characters completely differently (and yes, I know, everyone imagines things differently and they can't make everyone happy), and while the cast is great, it's so far from how I imagined the characters, I'm afraid it would could over my perception of the book and I'd like to keep that one, so... I'll see. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie, though, and your review is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pepca: I read the book so long ago I hardly remembered it. But I know what you mean about the cast "ruining" your idea of the characters. It's frustrating!

      Delete
  2. This is the first good review I've read. I'll see it but I don't know when. I wonder what I'm going to think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni: I don't get why people are hating it so bad. It's a perfectly fine movie.

      Delete
  3. Yay! I'm excited to see it now. It seems every one is being so hard on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica: I know! I don't get! But I really enjoyed it. Of course, I'm easy to please. But whatever.

      Delete
  4. The reviews are definitely mixed on this one. I know some who thought it was one of the worst movies ever and others who liked it. Guess I am going to have to watch it myself to decide where I sit in the spectrum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the helpful review! I've heard so many people panning this movie, so I'm glad there are some people who liked it at least. Frankly I've been wanting to see it since I saw the trailer earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails