Monday, April 29, 2013

Book Review: Someday, Someday Maybe by Lauren Graham

Book: Someday, Someday Maybe by Lauren Graham
Genre: Contemporary Fiction, sort of chick lit?
Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
For: Review
From: NetGalley (released April 30, 2013)

When I heard somewhere that Lauren Graham (of Gilmore Girls and now Parenthood fame) had a book coming out I was all over that in an instant. I checked NetGalley and sure enough, there it was! And then I was even approved to read it!

The big question... can she write as well as she can act? My answer? Yep!

Here's the story of a girl trying to make it big as an actress in New York. It takes place in the mid 90s so it has a bit of a fun "retro" feel to it. (Can the mid 90s be retro already?) This girl, Fanny, has some spunk and humor about her that makes people quite like her, but she is still struggling in the acting world.

I found it fun to see what a person goes through in this industry when they are just starting out. From taking acting classes, to performing showcases where agents are recruiting  to running here and there for auditions and appointments. It sounds pretty grueling.

And I read just yesterday in the ET magazine that Lauren Graham wanted to make the point that in the 90s there were no cell phones, so everyone relied on their answer machines to get messages, which could be at times a bit iffy. And frustrating.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the story. Fanny and her friends were very likable and there were lots of funny moments and lots of heart felt moments. I felt her frustration and was really rooting for her to get her big break!

The little bit of romance was fun too. It's one of those kinds were she ends up with a guy that she thinks is most awesome, but we the readers know that the real true perfect guy is someone else and we are like, Hey Franny! Can't you see what's going on here??? And we are holding our breaths hoping she does see it in the end.

Ah...the end... my only complaint! It needed, like, another chapter to REALLY wrap things up! More more! I needed more!

Bottom line: I totally enjoyed this book! Lauren Graham, is there anything you can't do?

Other Reviews:

Little touches of truth and humor collected to add up to lovely book. From The Bluestocking Society

Someday, Someday, Maybe is everything that was great about “Gilmore Girls”: snappy writing; believable friendships; realistic, scathing dialogue. From Write Meg!

It has it moments of great charm but it also has some stuff I just didn't care about. From A Girl, Books and Other Things



6 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading this one. I have so many books on my TBR stack right now, I'm not sure when I'll get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of Lauren Graham, though I have never watched The Gilmore Girls. Definitely want to check out this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tif: Wait... you've never watched Gilmore Girls? AH... you will LOVE it! Start watching it NOW! :)

      Delete
    2. I will see if I can find it at my library! I always hear such wonderful things about it!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Gilmore Girls, so I was interested in this one, but a bit nervous. Sounds like it's good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails