Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Some Pre-Blog Favorites!


Even before I blogged, I read a lot of books. Luckily, I started keeping track of them several years before I started blogging. Why it didn't occur to me to keep track of them even sooner, I have no idea. I think I was in denial of the obsession. I really wish I knew, though, what I read even further back!

But in looking at some of my lists from pre-blogging days, here's what I would consider some (SOME!) of my favorites from those years. (As you can see I cheated, yet again, and made two lists!)

(Pre-blogging days for me means early 2007 and before... more than six years ago.)

Ten Favorite Books from Pre-Blogging Days: Literary Fiction/Non Fiction, and Etc.

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
A Fine Balance by Rohintin Mistry
Pope Joan by Donna Wolfolk Cross
Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
The Red Tent by Anita Diamont
Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand


Most of the above books were read with my online book groups (I was participating with a classics group and a one called The Book Spot which read all sorts of things, mostly literary fiction.) A few of them I read with my new, baby book club, the one that is now nine years old next month!

Ten Favorite Books Pre-Blogging Days: YA

A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Eldest by Christopher Paolini
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen
Beauty by Robin McKinley


Many of the above books were read in preparation for the scholastic book fairs that I helped to run for several years. Or, they may have been purchased at the book fair and read later. Or, in case of the The Goose Girl, it was read in preparation for Shannon Hale's visit to our library, and I had no idea who she was!! 

Many of the books I loved pre-blogging days I've since re-read, mostly with my own book club. For the most part, I didn't list those here. The Book Thief, however, needs to be on ALL my lists though, right? So I left it there!

What did you read and love before you blogged? Do these books bring back lovely memories for you, like they do for me? Let me know in comments and then write up a post and join the huge linky list over at The Broke and the Bookish!




16 comments:

  1. I read the Red tent too ..& harry Potter too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of these!!!! I'm clearly the worst person in the world, because some of these are total classics... Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your YA list! Those are some of my favorites as well! I'm glad you like Eldest the best out of the series. A lot of people hated that one, but I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Historian!! Loved that book <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I was too afraid to do this list, because it would be enormous! I read so much before blogging, some years probably almost as much as I read now! But, I seriously lacked (and still do) in the literary fiction department. I need that book club of yours to get me to read other than YA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are so many good ones on this list!!! LOVE Shadow of the Wind! The Red Tent is one of my most recommended! The Goose Girl is adorable! Inkheart is brilliant! I could just keep going on and on! You have good taste in books!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good idea for a post. I'll put these on my TBR list.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've read any of these but hope to some day :)

    http://myloveforfilmsandnovels.blogspot.com/2013/04/top-ten-tuesday-4-top-ten-books-i-read.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still have never read Isabel Allende, though I would love to. I'm with you on David Copperfield--it's on my list too (lumped under Dickens collectively). I only have read The Red Tent once, but it stuck with me--wonderful book.

    Wonderful list(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was wondering if I'd see The Book Thief on your list. I wasn't sure if it came out before your six-year mark. I didn't do today's because I wasn't much of a reader before my blogging days so my list would have Harry Potter and Twilight on it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love love the Historian and The Shadow of the Wind. Amazing books that I couldn't put down.
    Angela's Anxious Life

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love the Harry Potter books. A few of the books you mention here, like The Historian, The Book Thief, and Uglies have been on my list forever. Someday I will read them! Awesome list! =]

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm impressed that you could think of 20. I had a hard time coming up with 10! It would have been easier if I had been smart and kept lists like you did, but nope ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, it's inexcusable that THE SHADOW OF THE WIND, THE HISTORIAN, and Harry Potter did not make my list. But then, if I'd had an extra 10... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Shadow of the Wind and David Copperfield will always be two of my favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Red Tent and Seasbiscuit! Yes!! Oh and The Historian (from comment above)! OMG and I totally forgot about The Poisonwood Bible. Now I'm just brainstorming in your comments or totally just stealing your list. Midnight's Children, Cold Mountain, and The Bone People would be on my list, too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails