Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Review: Marked by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast


Book: Marked by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast
Genre: YA paranormal
Rating: B+
For: Fun

This is the book I got last December from the Secret Santa Blogger Exchange project. I've been hearing quite a bit about this series lately, so I've been anxious to see what the deal is. And yes, it's yet another teenage vampire story. In this particular scenario, kids are "marked" with a tattoo if they have the potential to become a vampire. Once this happens, if they don't head off to the vampire boarding school, they will die. Once there, they will learn all the ins and outs of becoming a vampire while the actual physical change is taking place. If this change goes wrong, they will.... die... of course!

Anyway, so our heroine is marked, and heads off to school. It is apparent right from the start that she is going to be different. Things are happening much faster than normal with her transformation. Meanwhile, she has to deal with fitting in at the school and standing up against the bullies, and dealing with her human boyfriend. You know, the usual.

Interesting premise, don't you think? I enjoyed it all just fine, but the part I didn't particularly like was all the ritualistic stuff. Many ceremonies, and creepy, mystical, all out weird stuff.

But it is a vampire story. So, I guess that's to be expected. Still.

That being said, I am still quite interested in what happens to these kids. So, if I come across it while I'm shelving at the library, I'll probably end up taking it home!

4 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about reading this one too...I'll probably get to it eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to start this series within the next couple weeks. I have heard so many good things about it, so I am curious now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen some great reviews of this series and have thought about picking it up, though I think the TBR pile will have to be reined in a bit first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished the second one and enjoyed it. I like Zoey's character and I like that it shows loyal friendships. I'm kinda torn on the ritual stuff - I think it's cool that they have such a strong spiritual element in their lives, but it is kinda creepy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails