Friday, March 13, 2009

Review: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie


Book: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie
Genre: YA
Rating: A-
For: Dewey's Books Challenge, TBR Challenge
Winner of the National Book Award

After reading all the fantasy lately, I decided I needed something more "real." Wow, well, you can't get more real than this book. In fact, I think it was a little too real for me! Quite a sad and depressing story about a kid growing up on the Indian reservation who decides to "get out" and chooses to go to the white school. Many problems ensue. He has to deal with alcoholism, deaths, physical problems. All sorts of things. Yet, even with all the depressing stuff, it's quite uplifting in the end.

Some parts of this book reminded me of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, with lots of drawings and funny "boy" humor, though be warned, this humor is a little older stuff than what you get in Wimpy Kid.


Here's a great interview with the author where he talks about his own experiences that this book is based on. Yes, it sounds like the story is very autobiographical.




As mentioned above, this book is one of the books on my Dewey Challenge. Here's her review.

Other reviews:

Trish's Reading Nook
The Children's Literature Book Club
J.Kaye's Book Blog
Book Addiction

and there's so many more!

3 comments:

  1. I'm really excited to read this book. I just got it in from PaperbackSwap.com - yeah!

    Thanks for posting the video, I'm listening to it at work this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about reading this book for awhile. Heard very mixed reviews about it. I'm sure I'll end up reading it, just not sure when.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sherman Alexie. I read a book of his when I was in high school!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails