Saturday, March 14, 2009

Review: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows


Review: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Genre: Historical Fiction

Rating: A

For: Fun (though it should count for the WWII Challenge, but it's not on my official list!)

For those of you who haven't already read this book, it takes places shortly after WWII and it's about an author (made sort of famous because of her humorous wartime newspaper column) who gets a letter from a guy living on Guernsey Island in the English Channel. He's asking about a book he has, which was previously owned by her. A correspondence ensues, and she ends up creating many friendships with these people and learning all about their experiences during the war and their island's occupation by the Germans. The whole thing is told in letters going back and forth between her and these new friends, between her and her old friends, and between the friends themselves.

I loved it! Not only was it a so called "heart warming" story, but I learned a lot about a place and event that I'd never heard of before. And actually, it wasn't all heart warming either. There was much sadness and tragedy reported too.

This book made me miss the old letter writing practice. And it has made me want to visit and experience Guernsey for myself. Sounds like a beautiful place.

If you'd like to try making a Potato Peel Pie, click
HERE for the recipe!

And here's one of the authors talking more about her book:



5 comments:

  1. My Brother-in-law served in Guernsey on his mission, he loved it. I'll have to get him this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of my favourite reads of last year. A really great little book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally made it to the top of the waiting list at the library. Picked it up yesterday so I'll be reading it sometime in the next couple of weeks - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of those books that always keep getting moved to the next pile - which is the word you're looking for this time around isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I'm really late with this one, but I've posted it here.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails