Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Review: This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen


Book: This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen
Genre: YA
Rating: A
For: Fun

I have an ongoing quest to get caught up with all the Sarah Dessen books. This one appeared at our house from the library, and so I dropped all other reading plans and picked it up. Besides, it seemed like a perfect thing to read after The Road.

This story is about Remy, who is helping her mother plan her fifth wedding, and because of this example in her life, she's down on love. She keeps herself distant and breaks ups with guys whenever things seem to be getting complicated.

Then she meets Dexter, who sings in a struggling band. He's different and suddenly she feels all her former rules falling apart.

In the end, I liked this book simply for the statement it makes on love. And I like that Remy is forced to rethink her position on the subject.

Like all Sarah Dessen books, this has its "why'd she have to throw THAT in moments." But I enjoyed it despite them.

Other Reviews:

The Book Nest
Reviewer X

7 comments:

  1. Still haven't read any Sarah Dessen, but I do have Lock and Key now, so hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this novel plus 4 others by Sarah Dessen...I haven't read them yet. This Lullaby sounds good...thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the first one I read. I'm curious what things you thought were extra. I really loved when she "got it" why her mom keeps marrying again and again. I'm reading Along for the Ride now since I don't expect to be able to renew it from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Lock and Key is the Dessen I'm most excited to read next.

    Thanks for linking to me. I'll add yours to mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read The Road or This Lullaby, but from what I've heard a lullaby book would be welcome after reading The Road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda: I hope to read Lock and Key soon too.

    Missy: I have a couple others by her that I own but haven't read because they keep getting pushed back in favor of the library copies.

    Lisa: I just don't like all the drinking, smoking, swearing teenagers. Makes me cringe.

    Tricia: I'm really going to try harder to keep up with your blog. I think we read much of the same sorts of things.

    Booklogged: I think ANYTHING would be good after The Road!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same ongoing quest. I've read four of Dessen's novels this month alone, including this one! I quite liked it. One of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails