Thursday, October 23, 2008

Review: Brisingr by Christopher Paolini


Book: Brisingr by Christopher Paolini
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: A
For: Fun!

So I finally finished this one somewhere across the California desert as we travelled to Disneyland. And then I slammed the book shut and moaned. ARRGGH!! NOW how long do we have to wait for the NEXT one? Things were just getting going! But now I can see why he had to add another book to his "trilogy"! This one is so long and yet there's so much more to do!

For a little sum up: This continues the story of Eragon and his dragon Saphira. It begins with the rescue of Roran's (Eragon's cousin) girlfriend, Katrina, which was quite the exciting little event. Then, Eragon ends up travelling all over Algaesia yet again. First to the dwarfs to help with a bit of a political situation there. Then back to the elves to learn some majorly interesting things along with finally getting a sword. THEN back to the main battle front where the quest to overthrow the evil Galbatorix continues.

I loved it all. I know there's some that hate Paolini's writing style, but I'm not one of them! I love it! I love the emotion and description. Some of the fights are so incredibly intense and graphically detailed you seriously feel like you are right there. (Did you catch the bit of warning there? The fight scenes are very graphic!) There's moments when I forgot to breathe.

My eyes did glaze over during some of the political discussion with the dwarfs and during the majorly detailed sword making description. But other than that, it all moved quickly and was all that I expected.

There did need to be more Arya though! Maybe in the next one?
I just found this fun interview with Christopher Paolini. If you're interested click here for that. And one thing cool about this video... it totally clears up how to say the title of this book, which I've heard many different ways. But... I think I'll believe Christopher himself!

3 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I haven't even read Eragon yet. I'm sooo behind the times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brisingr, bought it! Got to clean the house, take care of the kids and hubby for a few days, finish the second book then... Hey! maybe I'll be able to write a book about a stay at home dragon trainer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andi... get with it!! :)

    Boy Mom... you'll love it! And I'll look forward to hearing about how it is to be a stay at home dragon trainer!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails