Sunday, November 1, 2020

Book Review: Call Down the Hawk by Maggie Stiefvater

Book: Call Down the Hawk by Maggie Stiefvater

Genre: YA urban fantasy

Rating: ★ ★ ★


I knew nothing about this book and just jumped in and started reading. It was weird because these characters seemed so familiar! And I was like...what is this?? It took me TWO chapters to figure out that this was in fact a companion series to one of my favorites from the past... The Raven Boys! Who knew!

(Yeah, I'm a bit out of the book loop these days, but I'll come around!)

Anyway, once I figured it out, everything suddenly made more sense!

So in this book we are with the Lynch brothers.. starring Ronan, who, as we remember has dreams that are a bit crazy in that when he wakes up he sometimes brings his dream things back with him. Which is sometimes cool and sometimes not so great. 

We meet another dreamer in this story, Jordan, who has the problem that she dreams up a copy of herself every time she dreams. So she is basically dying because she refuses to sleep. Meanwhile she lives with all her clones forging paintings for a living. And since the Lynch brothers are trying to track down one of their father's paintings, eventually these two stories converge. 

And we also meet another character who is part of an organization that is out to save the world by killing all the dreamers. And they are doing that will the help of people who are visionaries and can track down the dreamers. She is conflicted and thinks that maybe there is a better way. This part of the story is kinda heart wrenching to say the least. 

This is one of these books were it was both fascinating and confusing at the same time. I really love this author's writing style, but it does sometimes leave me going... wait what? I don't get it! You know what I mean? 

The things that happen are so crazy! It's all very imaginative (like how do people come up with these things?) and I appreciate that, but also sometimes I'm like...yeah... wait what? 

So... yeah... it's a confusing review. I really enjoyed it, and loved being with these characters again, but I had to make myself read it and get through it. And dang it if it didn't end on a crazy cliff hanger and now I will have to decide do I read the next one?? AHH!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails