Thursday, January 28, 2016

Book Review Thoughts: Emmy and Oliver by Robin Benway

Book: Emmy and Oliver by Robin Benway
Genre: YA Contemporary
Rating: ★★★★★


Another one of those books that I went into knowing nothing and was pleasantly surprised. This is bit of a heart wrenching story about a boy, Oliver, who his kidnapped by his dad at age 7. His childhood friend, Emmy, along with his family and the neighborhood and everyone looks for him for ten years, never really giving up hope, but thinking they'll never see him again.

Then one day,  he suddenly comes back.

And now, how does everyone deal with that? You'd think it would be a happy joyous occasion, yes? But in reality, there are so many things and feelings that have to be dealt with, and it pretty much makes everyone crazy.

Meanwhile, Emmy and Oliver take their childhood friendship to a whole new level and it's all sorts of sweetness and swoon worthiness.

Bottom Line: I read it in a day and could not put it down. I have a feeling you'll do the same.

Other Reviews:

The writing is strong and the secondary characters are great side-kick material and while it is hard to believe some of the things Emmy is able to get away with, I read this in one sitting, I liked it so much. From The Book Nest

But the book is thoroughly Emmy's point of view, and it works awfully well that way too. She's the only one that Oliver feels normal around, and their growing intimacy allows him to tell his story to her. From Confessions of a Bibliovore

A touchingly moving story that will tear at your heart and the struggles that come after such a huge dramatic experience. But love can conquer so very much, and Emmy and Olivers bond and connection was just perfect! From Bewitched Bookworms

I loved the way family and friendship were portrayed -- real, funny, and sometimes messed-up. From YA Romantics

6 comments:

  1. I'm really excited to read this. I think it sounds like a lot of fun. I just need to get to it. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a really interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went into this not knowing anything about the plot, but I'd heard that a lot of people liked it. And I liked it too! :) It reminded me of a happier version of Sweethearts by Sara Zarr, which for me was a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read this book for a while. I love the cover and the story sounds interesting. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had my eye on this one for awhile now. Since I got it cheap for my kindle I really should read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I saw this book everywhere for a while and had no idea what it was about. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails