Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Weekly Geeks #9: Challenges


This week's Weekly Geek assignment is to organize our challenges! Something I've been meaning to do anyway. So here goes:


2008 TBR Challenge: Last year's version of this challenge started it all, the blogging, the discovery of challenges, the connection with other book bloggers, etc. The idea with this challenge is to read 12 books in that year that's been sitting around, waiting their turn for awhile (at least six months.) Here's what I'm working on this year:

Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier
The Painted Veil by Somerset Maugham
Man and Wife by Wilkie Collins
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
Eugenie Grandet by Balzac
Messenger by Lois Lowrey (done with this one but must not have officially reviewed it!)
Magyk by Angie Sage
Moloka'i by Alan Brennert
Quentins by Maeve Binchy


Book Awards II Challenge: The 2nd installment of this challenge. I failed miserably on the first one which is ending this month. I managed to read only four of the list of 12. So, I'm going to continue on with the challenge with some of my same books and try to get them read by next June!

Miracles on Maple Hill by Virginia Sorenson
The Twenty-one Balloons by William Pène du Bois
Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse
The March by E.L. Doctorow
All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
The Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
To Say Nothing About the Dog by Connie Willis

Classics Challenge: This one runs from July to December this year. The idea is to read five classics with a bonus "new" classic thrown in. My list:

1. Man and Wife by Wilkie Collins (England)
2. Eugenie Grandet by Balzac (France)
3. Bleak House by Dickens (England)
4. The Little Prince by Saint Exupéry (France)
5. War and Peace by Tolstoy (Russia)

Bonus: The Road by Cormac McCarthy

YA Romance Challenge: A new one I just joined where you are challenged to read six YA romances from July through next February. Now this one I can handle!

1. The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
2. Snow, Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George
3. It's a Mall World After All by Janette Rallison
4. Revenge of the Cheerleaders by Janette Rallison
5. Sweethearts by Sara Zarr
6. Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson

The Pulitzer Project: Not really a normal challenge as it is a life-long reading goal... to read all the Pulitzer Prize novels! So... I'm working on it slowly.

I think that's it for now. So many of the challenges out there tempt me. Such fun ideas people come up with! But I'm learning that I'm not the best at the challenges and end up reading what moves me at the moment instead of stuff from my lists! Oh, well. That's okay too!

2 comments:

  1. I'm abut halfway through my last Book Award Challenge book. I'm definitely signing up for part two, but I can't post until I finsih blogging my BAC books. I'm so far behind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed The Painted Veil. Can't wait to see what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails