Thursday, January 24, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Huh?


Booking Through Thursday

What’s your favorite book that nobody else has heard of? You know, not Little Women or Huckleberry Finn, not the latest best-seller . . . whether they’ve read them or not, everybody “knows” those books. I’m talking about the best book that, when you tell people that you love it, they go, “Huh? Never heard of it?”



The one that comes to mind first is The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz. Anyone heard of it? I'm not sure if it's a "known" book or not, so maybe you don't go "huh" when I mention it. This is a fascinating book about a guy who was in a POW camp in Siberia during WWII. He escaped and along with several others, made the trek to freedom in India.


I was just looking this up in Wikipedia to see if I remembered it all right and the article there says that this story is widely questioned.... that it's quite possible that it's not true at all. Well, dang about that! Oh well, true or not, the book is very good!


A couple of books that I remember loving as a kid is Mandy by Julie (Andrews) Edwards.... sort of a secret garden kind of story. And also The Enchanted Cup by Dorothoy Roberts , about Tristan and Isolde.

6 comments:

  1. I've not heard of The Long Walk - yet it sounds like the kind of book I should have heard of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Juliet, I thik I too should have heard of those!

    "Huh?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of any of them, but I'll definitely be looking up the WW2 one... if only to give my husband. He loves all things WW2.

    Thanks for the other two as well.. adding to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I've read "The Long Walk" but I think I'm interested to read it, whether it true or not :)

    Happy BTTs! Have a good Thursday and good weekend ahead!

    Julia - Yen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of any of them. Happy BTT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my faves is "The Sun is My Undoing" by Marguerite Steen. It's part of the Flood saga. It's a great book about redemption. But no one I know has read it!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails