Thursday, October 25, 2007

Mini Reviews for a Bunch of Books!



Book: Evening Class by Maeve Binchy


Rating: A-



I just love Maeve Binchy's books! Even though I got majorly stuck right in the middle of this one, with many other book distractions, once I picked it up again, I finished in just a day or so. This story is about a bunch of different people whose lives come together with the creation of an Italien evening class. Not my most favorite book of hers, but still... great story and great characters.






Book: Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements


Rating: A





An interesting YA novel that grabbed from the beginning when our main character wakes up to find himself invisible. He goes on to figure out what happened and how to resolve it... meanwhile, he falls in love with a blind girl! There's more to the story in Things Hoped For... which I need to now go find quickly! I loved it!






Book: Shadowland.... and The Ninth Key both by Meg Cabot


Rating: A- first book, B for the second one





These are the first two books in Meg Cabot's Mediator series. I really enjoyed the first one, getting the characters established and so on.... but the second one was a little too slow or something, the story not as engaging. Nevertheless, I'm hooked and will keep reading the rest. I've got to find out more about Jesse, the hottest ghost ever!






Book: Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney


Rating: B+





I can't remember if I talked about this one already, but if I did... here I go again! Here's an amazing simply story... the diary of a kid trying to survive 7th grade, and it's getting amazing attention! My 7th grade son LOVED it and wants to read it over and over again. This was our hottest selling book at the recent book fair and Scholastic can't keep them in stock. I think there's going to be a sequel... of course!

7 comments:

  1. Things Not Seen - yes, it's a great book! Are you able to get the next book in this series?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think one of my libraries has it, but I just haven't taken the time to go grab it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Diary of a Wimpy Kid when I was shopping on Saturday and now I'm kicking myself for not buying it! Next time. A YA book that I just bought for my kids (and me!) is called Part Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie. I have only read an excerpt, but I think it will be good. He's part Native, and from the Spokane reservation (which is what caught my attention) and it's up for a book prize. I wanted my kids to read it because even though we live on a reservation, we're white and it's not the same as being Native and from a reservation. I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard lots of good things aobut that book! Hopefully I'll run across a copy soon too, and find time to read it. I'm going crazy with the YA books these days... there's so many to read and get hooked on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best book I've ever read.Everyone should read it

    ReplyDelete
  6. best book ever coolest book ever i love it i'd read it a million times if i had to should read book i give an A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Anonymous... are talking about Diary of a Wimpy Kid... or Part Time Indian? Either way, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails