Saturday, October 3, 2015

Heroes Reborn: Season One Episodes 1, 2 and 3



Back in the day I did the weekly recap thing of Heroes. One of my first blogging memories! And I loved it. I recreated that when I did the same thing last season of The Walking Dead. Which I plan on doing again this season. But in the meantime, I thought I'd have fun with Heroes Reborn, and come full circle with the whole blogging Heroes thing.

And I'm already behind! Last week the show opened by doing two episodes in a row. Here's what happened and what I thought. (Beware spoilers!)

We learn quite quickly that there was a huge disaster a year before the story opens again. It happened right in the middle of a gathering of evolved humans... Evos. Noah Bennet was there, and he somehow survives. But he thinks Claire was there too, and that she did not survive. (Which doesn't make sense given her power, yes?) We come to learn later that his memory has been wiped and that he doesn't really remember what happened, which is not good at all.

There's a couple who was also there, and their son was killed. They are out for revenge. They want to hunt down and kill all the Evos.  They are ruthless. Zachary Levi is one of these bad guys. He's scary! He tries to kill a teenager Evo, but some unknown someone saves this boys life. (This kid is played by the boy who played Peter Pan in OUAT.) We follow his story and learn he can make things disappear. He learns that they go wherever he's thinking about at the moment. He's got a nice girl on his side... and her boyfriend who thinks he made his terrible step dad disappear, but he really didn't. There's some guy following him and we have no idea what he's all about, but he seems to be helping at the moment. He can make people do whatever he wants. So he's obviously an Evo too.

Meanwhile, in Japan, there's a boy who is a video game nerd and in the course of winning a game called Ever- something, he gets a clue that leads him to a girl who happens to be the star of that game. That's right, she can turn into a the video game. She's on a quest to save her kidnapped father.  They join forces. She fights both in the game and in the real world. We have no idea what this all has to do with the other Evos, or how it will tie in yet.

Noah goes back to the paper company to track down Molly who can find any Evo. There's this nerdy comic relief guy who is sort of helping Noah in this quest. They almost get shot down by the bad couple, but they escape.

Meanwhile, in a Mexican neighborhood of East LA there's a guy with powers who is being a sort of Daredevil type vigilante. He gets killed and his brother is going to take over. They are also an underground railroad for helping Evos, Because oh, I forgot to say that the world blames the big disaster on the Evos and all of them are in major hiding.

At the end, we find out that Molly has been found by another bunch of bad people who we don't really know that they want yet.

And that's the first couple of episodes!


Joanne,  the wife half of the couple who wants to go kill all the Evos
Malina: Who we really haven't meet yet!
Luke, the husband half of the couple who wants to kill all the Evos
Noah Bennett, who all know and love
Carlos, the guy who is going to take over the vigilante/underground railroad job
Miko, the girl who can jump in and out of her dad's video game
Tommy, the kid who can make people disappear

I found it to be engaging and fairly intense, just like the Heroes of old. Noah so far is the only original cast member that we've seen, though I know they've teased others. I'm quite taken with the kid that can make things disappear.

Episode three finds our new vigilante trying to figure out his place. In the meantime he gets the crap beat out of him because he messes with people who have powers and he has none. And our ruthless couple trying to figure out if they still want to go around killing people. And something is happening to Luke, the Zachary Levi guy. Noah is trying to remember what happened during the past year that he can't remember. He needs Molly to help him, but she is now in the hands of other bad guys who want to harness her power in order to track down all the Evos. We learn that something strange happened in the hospital on the day of the disaster. And Tommy is just trying to be normal, but his mom has another panic attack and the episode ends with them in a car crash.

Whew!

So much happening, which is the awesome thing about this show!

Anyway, I think I'm sufficiently hooked. How about you? Have you given it a try? Were you an original Heroes fan? What do you think of this one so far?




3 comments:

  1. I can't stand Malina! She's way too vindictive and heartless. I'll laugh maniacally when she finds out her husband appears to have powers??? I'm liking this Tommy too! I'm enjoying the show but I keep thinking I need to go back and rewatch the original series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny: You mean Joanne right? The wife of Zachary Levi? :) Yes, Tommy is going to be interesting.

      Delete
  2. Agreed Jenny! I really don't like Joanne! But I love Zachary Levi, therefore I have to love his character... And I am glad Tommy will be a good kid, because it made me sad when he was bad as Peter! And I don't like the game part... I have no problem with the characters themselves, I just hate when they are in the game! (Love the nerdy gamer side kick)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails