Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Thinking Books


Today over at The Broke and the Bookish we've been prompted to list books that made us think. Well, there's LOTS of those, but here's what came to mind first.

Books That Made Me Think

1. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
2. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
3. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
4. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
5. Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross
6. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
8. The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
9. The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
10. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

All deep books I'm afraid. What books made you think? Were they all deepish sort of ones too?

5 comments:

  1. I love any list that includes A Fine Balance! I've loved most of the other books on this list too. Will have to look up The Last Lecture and Pope Joan as both are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Pope Joan but all the other books on your list really made me think, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just been re-reading The Last Lecture and spout it at every chance I get. What a thought-filled book. I am anxious to add A Fine Balance to the ever-growing tower... I am in an Indian culture mood! Plus seeing it mentioned in your last two posts is just too coincidental. Once again you tempt me. You ARE a vixen!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all very deep indeed. I like books that make me think so long as they're not boring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely think the deep books are the ones that make you think the most, but I often find gems in the lighter books that really make me think, too. Sometimes the books that make me think aren't even necessarily books I really liked but I appreciated that they engaged my mind. Do you find yourself following up on one of these with something fluffy to clear your palate?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails