Friday, September 7, 2012

Book Review: The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

Book: The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen
Genre: YA/MG Fantasy
Rating: ★★★★☆
For: Utah Book Month (I know it's officially over, but this one linger into this month!)
From: I bought this one from Megan's store in Cedar City... Braun Books

Here's a story about an orphan kid who one day is suddenly bought by some noble dude and taken, along with three other boys, to be taught how to impersonate the prince, who is thought to be dead. This noble dude has plans to take over the kingdom, and in so doing, prevent an imminent war. Much of the book is then these boys vying for the position. First they need to learn how to eat, read, fight, dance and etc. And then they also need to decide if this is a cause they even want to support.

Our boy Sage, just isn't too sure about it all. The only reason he really wants to be picked for the part is that if he's not, he's pretty sure this guy is going to kill the losers. But, he's playing the whole thing by his own rules.

Ah, I ended up really loving this one! Sage reminded me quite a bit of beloved Gen from The Queen's Thief series. He has quite the feisty attitude and there's always something going on that you, as a reader, don't know about and find out later. I quite like that I've decided. There are surprises thrown at you throughout the book and you never really know what Sage is up to or where he stands on things. He's a sweet boy underneath, but pretty gruff and rough on the surface. Another trait I seem to enjoy.

And then, things just get quite exciting at the end and then... it's done! So... is this a trilogy? Yep, I've just confirmed it. It is. I'm hooked. I'll be anxious to find out what happens with Sage next!

Bottom line: Really enjoyed it!

Other Reviews:

Small Review
Hooked on Books
Kami's Library Thoughts
One Librarian's Book Reviews
The Reading Fever


12 comments:

  1. I love how you called Conner the noble dude! ha ha! I loved this book, and I'm way excited for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you remember my confessions from the other day? I couldn't remember his name and was too lazy to look it up!

      Delete
  2. just picked this up from the Library, your review makes me glad I did.

    ~L

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got this one on hold at the library. I can't wait to read it! Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is in the mail coming to me now! I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Jenny: You will predict it all, but you may enjoy the character of Sage.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for getting back to me about the Utah Blogger month!! I really appreciate it!! New Follower too. Hopefully the Colorado Blogger Month does well in March!!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie: Good luck with your book month! Thanks for the follow.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails