Saturday, January 31, 2015
North and South Read Along: Final Discussion
I can't believe we've come to the end of this read along! It's been a blast, has it not? Thanks to everyone who has participated and discussed and shared feelings and had fun with us! You've been awesome. :)
We have two more events before it's over. The Twitter chat will be tomorrow, Sunday, at 6:00 pm Mountain time. We've realized this past week that it will fall right in the middle of the Super Bowl. We're hoping that most of you won't mind. And that if you are a football fan, you can maybe do both! Chat while watching! So, we'll go ahead with this time and hopefully you can all join us. Follow #NorthSouthRAL. Be sure to check that out even when we aren't tweeting... we've had some pretty fun impromptu in between chat discussions too!
Then, on Friday, Feb. 6 also at 6:00 pm Mountain time, we'll be watching the movie. . .the BBC mini series. Join us on Twitter! (We'll let you know when we actually push the play button so we can all be synced up.) The movie is available on Netflix. It's four episodes, each 50 minutes long.
And now, how did you like the conclusion of this book? Here are few questions I've thought up to ask you all:
North and South Final Discussion Questions
1. There's much talk about all the deaths in this book. What are your feelings on that? Do you think they were necessary? Or too much?
2. Was there anything that happened during this last part that you found surprising or unexpected? Or was everything very predictable?
3. What are your feelings on the about face Margaret and Mr. Thornton have with regard to their financial status?
4. Do you think Margaret is justified in being so anguished over the lie that she told? Does it mostly have to do with her feelings for Mr. Thornton? Or something else?
5. At what moment exactly do you think her feelings for Mr. Thornton completely changed?
6. Discuss the character of Nicholas Higgins. What do you think about the relationship he has with Mr. Thornton? Did he change Mr. Thornton? Did Mr. Thornton change him?
7. How does Mr. Thornton's views on the master/worker relationship change? Or. . .did it change? Did your view on this issue change as you experienced this book?
8. Do you have a favorite quote from this book? If so, share and let us know why it's your favorite.
9. The ending! Are you happy with how things turned out? (Try not to compare with the movie here... that's for a later question!)
10. What aspect of this book would you like to address that we haven't yet talked about? Is there something we've skipped over in our discussions that makes you want to say... "Yeah, but what about....?" And if you've got nothing there, answer this: Did you like the book? Why or why not?
BONUS MOVIE QUESTION:
If you've already seen the movie, go ahead... now is your chance to compare the two! If you have yet to see the movie, skip everyone's comments on this part. After we watch the movie on Friday, you can write a post just about this. Because my guess is, you'll probably have some thoughts!
If you plan to write a post with answers to these questions. Or a post that compares the book to the movie. OR a post simply with your final review of this book... link it up here so we can all be sure to come visit you!
Thanks again for playing along! I'm sure we'll do it again soon. :)