Monday, January 26, 2015

The Worth of Celebrity: A Rant of Sorts, and a Question


When it comes to celebrities, I suppose there are two camps.  Camp number one: those of us who think celebrities are interesting and cool and intriguing and Camp number two: those of us who couldn't care less. For some reason I find myself in the first camp, and I have no idea why. WHY do I find them fun to follow and watch and observe and drool over? Why why why? What's the point in this? (Answer: It's fun!)

And most importantly, how much worth do I put in the whole celebrity watching/seeing/sighting thing?

This is the big question of the day and let me tell you why.

Comic Con here in Salt Lake is coming up again this weekend. This event is called FanX and since I've only been to one other event, I'm not sure how this one will be different or if it's just exactly the same. I think they have two events a year just to get us to fork out more money.

And money is what I want to talk about here. Because the whole point of Comic Con is  to see celebrities. (Wait, did you think it was to celebrate the comic business? Um, no.) So, how much will we, as people in the camp #1, pay to see our favorites?

Comic Con is a pretty expensive event. Nearly 100 bucks for a three day pass (much more for VIP pass). And then if you want to get a picture with your favorite celebrity, it's about 80 more bucks. If you want just an autograph, it's maybe 50 more bucks (per celebrity of course!)


But this time, not only did we pay to get IN the event (and to buy the pictures and autographs), we have also been asked to pay MORE just to go see the panel of some of the celebrities. When it was announced that Matt Smith, the 11th Dr. Who, was coming, along with his companion Amy (Karen G something) and Rose (Billie Piper, companion to both Dr. 9 and 10) they also announced that they would have a special panel, The Dr. Who Experience, which required a separate ticket. I moaned for about five minutes then easily forked over the money.

BUT... I had to decide how worth it this Dr. was to me. Because there were tiers. Was he worth 15 extra dollars? Or 30? Or 80? I decided I just wanted in the room and so I paid the 15 extra. Now... if he would have been the 10th Doctor (David Tennant) I might have forked over the extra 80! Because David Tennant is worth more to me. Yes?  And the 80 would have put me THAT MUCH closer to him!

Which then makes me wonder... how much would I actually pay to see the celebrities that top my list? And it SCARES me to ponder this. Because the answer would be... A LOT. And why is that? WHY? Why would I pay so much money just to see them?

I have no idea. (Answer? It's fun?)

How much money would I pay to see Tom Hiddleston for instance? And would I pay the extra 150 to get an autograph and picture? Would I stand in line for hours? Would I pay extra money just to insure that I got in that room? And maybe not only in the room, but up CLOSE in the room? (Answer: yes!) Where would I stop? How far would I go? How much is Tom Hiddleston worth to me?

And, would I pay the same to see Benedict, or Richard Armitage? Or Colin Firth? Or... sheesh. I don't know who. I've paid hundreds of dollars to see Josh Groban several times. I paid nothing to see Markus Zusak, but I did wait in line for nearly 3 hours (some waited much longer than that! And WOULD I pay to see him. Answer: Yes!)

Was it worth it? Yes! Will it be worth it to pay extra money to see Matt Smith? I hope so! Will I go away with fun memories and a cool experience? Yes. And how much is that worth?

As they say, it's priceless, don't you think?

So I ask you, what would you pay to see a favorite celebrity? How far would you go? Where would you draw the line? IS there any line to draw? Or are you in the other camp and you read this whole post and wonder how I've lost my mind with the whole celebrity thing? If so, is there something else (not of a life and death nature) that you'd pretty much fork over money for without a second thought? 



19 comments:

  1. I wouldn't pay to see a celebrity. Maybe, maybe an author (Markus Zusak would be super tempting), but we don't have a lot of spare money and I would rather spend it on something we would ALL enjoy instead of just one or us...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KT: Good points! (I do take my daughter with me to Comic Con as she is just as crazy about all this as I am, which does make me feel the tiniest bit better about it. I wish more family members had fun with it though.)

      Delete
    2. I think it's awesome how many events your daughter has been to with you! I would have loved that when I was younger. Currently, my kiddo is only 2, so maybe in a few years he would like it more, but I would probably still be a bit hesitant.

      Delete
    3. KT: I've decided she's pretty much a mini me. We squeal over the same things all the time these days. It's awesome.

      Delete
  2. As you know, I've been debating this question ever since Comic Con came to SLC. I really think the only celebrity I'd pay to see are my top 6 or 7. I'd have to think long and hard about the others....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni: I hope your top 6 or 7 come sometime!

      Delete
  3. You make celebrities sound like a piece of meat. It is fun to see favorite celebrities, and I think the experience is worth some money. How far would I go to see Richard Armitage? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kami: I do? I didn't mean to make it seem so... low... just crazy that we do it in the first place. I want you to think about how much you'd pay for RA... seriously... how far would you go? A hundred? A couple hundred?

      Delete
  4. I'm one of those people that wouldn't pay anything more than the normal ticket price of an event to see a celebrity. I don't mind paying 30-40 for a concert, but I wouldn't pay another 20 just for a meet and greet. I always care more about the product (the book, movie, acting...) than the person. Very interesting question though, the line can get very vague

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celine: Not another 20? Even if you absolutely LOVED that person? AND their stuff? :)

      Delete
    2. I've had the opportunity in the past, but I've never took it. Mainly because I never truly love the person (I can hardly claim to know someone just by watching), just what they do :D

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't pay but maybe for David Tennant....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather: Yeah? David Tennant, huh? LOL! Would have paid the 80 to sit close? I wonder... I think I might have....

      Delete
  6. I'm in Camp 2. Couldn't care less. I don't pay to see celebrities unless it's a concert -- then, it's not just about SEEING them, but HEARING them too. And that's USUALLY worth the money :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: LOL! Usually! How much have you paid for a concert? My favorites are at least 100 dollars. And then, sometimes you feel the need to remember the occasion with a $30 tshirt or a $70 hoodie! And where does it end???? :)

      Delete
  7. I'm in Camp 2. Couldn't care less. I don't pay to see celebrities unless it's a concert -- then, it's not just about SEEING them, but HEARING them too. And that's USUALLY worth the money :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'm more in the second camp. My first thought was, pay if I got to sit down and have dinner with them :) Unless it's Neil Gaiman. If he ever comes to an event anywhere near me again, I will be there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I'm camp 2, but I would love to pay to see some favorite authors. Usually, it's that the event is too far or at a bad time for me. Not sure who I'd overcome those issues to go see... Interesting thoughts! Comic con sounds fun, can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always think I would pay but then I never do. If I'm spending a lot of money, I want an actually show!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails