Thursday, January 22, 2015

My Thoughts on Serial: The Podcast



So, I just finished the last episode of Serial. I know I'm a bit behind the times, but now I'm wondering, have you listened to it? And if so, let's talk!

Serial, if you don't know, is a 12 episode podcast done by the same people from NPR that do This American Life (not a podcast I've listened to, but one I'm curious about also) and when they first debuted this new podcast last fall, everyone went berserk about it. I remember hearing about it from the get go, but didn't start listening to it until about Christmastime when my son talked about it and we decided to get all caught up. As you can see, it still took me awhile (I've told you about my "listening" fetishes, right?)

What they've done is taken an interesting murder crime, one that appeared to have a ton of strange problems and issues, and they've brought it to light again and rehashed the whole thing. They called and interviewed every person originally involved that they could find.  They examine all the evidence, rumors, thoughts, phone calls, letters, diaries . . .everything. And try to come up with a conclusion, once and for all, who dunnit?


This case was a murder of a high school student in Baltimore in 1999. Her ex-boyfriend was arrested, tried, convicted and put in prison for life. He says he did not do it. His friend (well, sort of friend) says he did. And so it goes. Who's telling the truth? It makes you crazy wondering what really happened! If you love true crime stuff and real life stories and fascinating mysteries, you'd love this thing! 

And, if you love that sort of thing, you've probably already listened to it. So... have you? What do you think? Who IS telling the truth? Did he really do it? Did Jay do it? Or is there another story not being told? Are they protecting a third party?

Let me know what you think!

12 comments:

  1. I'm so behind the times. I hadn't even heard about this but it reminds me of the show, Cold Case Files, which I'm addicted to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't listened to Serial yet, but it's on my list of things to listen to this year! It sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belle: Let me know what you think when you do!

      Delete
  3. I listened to it and I loved it! I couldn't wait for the next episode each week. I don't know who did it. I lean more towards Jay than anyone else. I think it was so well done though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa: Yes, a fascinating way to tell a story. And I lean toward Jay too.

      Delete
  4. I've been scared to listen. I've hear it is amazing and people get hooked easy, but I don't know if it's for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kami: Scared of what? Getting addicted? Or of the whole murder story thing? You should try it and see what you think!

      Delete
  5. Mike and I binge listened over a weekend. We both decided that there's more to it than jay is telling and it's possible adnan didn't do it. We keep going back and forth on everything EXCEPT we don't think there was enough evidence to convict him. Definitely not enough if you don't trust jay, and I don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa: Agreed! Not enough evidence! It's an interesting point that if the first trial didn't end in a mistrial they probably would have let him go.

      Delete
  6. I got caught up in the hype and started listening, but I got behind and was only at episode 5 when the series finished and everyone started moaning about the fact there was no resolution. This meant that I was less interested in getting to the end and so I've sort of abandoned it. I hope that the truth comes out one day as I'd really love to know it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely can't understand how they convicted him based on the evidence they had. And I really can't see why anyone would think he would kill her because he felt he had given up so much for her and then she dumped him. He had, after all, done a whole lot of other things his parents wouldn't have approved of. He's no saint, that's for sure. But guilty of murder? I'm not sure I buy it. At least not in the way that Jay tells it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails