Saturday, January 3, 2015

Movie Review: The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies

Movie: The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies
Genre: Fantasy Adventure
Starring: Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Lee Pace
Rating: PG 13
My Rating: One thumb up

Gasp? Only one thumb? That's only because I haven't enjoyed these hobbit movies as much as I did the Lord of the Rings movies. Not sure why. Maybe I've been influenced by all the naysayers, but they have seemed a bit drawn out and there's lots of complicated stuff that I just don't totally get.

This last movie was fun, as they all are, but did seem particularly cheesy in parts, especially a certain Legolas defying gravity scene that was just totally weird. Maybe it's all about some awesome elf magic?

And Legolas? Wow, but I loved him in the Lord of the Rings movies. So did he change? Or did I? Either way, something did and I'm not quite sure I can put my finger on it.

That all being said, I still enjoyed this movie and all it's special effects and emotional drama and cool characters. Kili will forever be my favorite and Martin Freeman nailed his part in all three movies.
Kili and Fili

I quite enjoyed Lee Pace too.

You may think that given where the last movie left off with "what have we done?" that there'd be a bunch of dragon fighting, but that's all over right at the beginning and then the movie concentrates on gathering the five armies for a huge final conflict, all over the treasure in the mountain that the dwarves have claimed.

And what an intense battle it is!

And sad. Many sad things happen in this movie and I for one don't remember The Hobbit (the book) being sad at all, so all that must be from other sources.

Speaking of sad, how about this most awesome song (which I may have shared before, I can't remember) by Billy Boyd and featured in the movie, set to scenes from all six movies. Weepy I tell you!




And for those interested, here's the trailer for this final movie:



Have you seen this final Hobbit movie and if so, what did you think?

9 comments:

  1. I thought it was quite good, but like you I thought that some parts were really cheesy. Some of the dialogue was so clichéd and the special effects were not the best. I laughed at the bit where Legolas was running up an invisible staircase-he looked like he was in a super mario style video game! The story was interesting though and overall I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tizzy: Yep, pretty much what I thought too!

      Delete
  2. I'm not going to see this, especially if a big fan like you was disappointed with things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen any of the Hobbit movies but I recently reread the book when I read them to my son last year. It's not a big book and I'm rather in awe that three movies were made from the one books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belle: They added a lot of stuff from other books too. But yes, it's crazy!

      Delete
  4. I just saw this one and I liked it OK. Sorry but Legolas was always that ridiculous. Laughing at him has been a favorite for me from the beginning. I thought a lot of things were left unsaid, though. It bothered me. Like they never said what happened with the stone thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hm. I'll probably wait awhile before I see this. I have to distance myself somewhat- I was such a fan of the book and the way I pictured it in my head so different from how the films portray. I have to tell myself it's someone else's way of retelling the story, and not expect it to match up to my reading experience. Then maybe I can enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to see this because The Hobbit is one my all-time favorite books. I actually really enjoyed it, but I think I'm in the minority. I'm bummed that they spread it out so much, but overall, I'm a total Hobbit Nerd and loved it all so very much. I have not seen that video from Billy Boyd before, but I loved it. Makes me want to have a huge Tolkien movie week!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails