Friday, March 16, 2007

All Time Favorites: An Ongoing List!

This list includes some of my all-time favorites, plus I'll continue to add to it (add delete from it too I'm sure!) as I discover more favorites:


Old Favorites (long timers, pre-blogging days)


Katherine by Anya Seton
The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Pope Joan by Donna Wollfolk Cross
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien
Seabiscuit by Laura Hillendbrand
Sacajawea by Anna Lee Waldo
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz
Tess of the D'urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Life of Pi by Yann Martell
Middlemarch by George Eliot
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Dodie Smith


YA Favorites


Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Antsy Does Time by Neal Shusterman
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park


New Favorites (within the last few years)


The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wrobleski
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende
The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
These is My Words by Nancy Turner
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett





13 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a blog list, I might have to steal it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel free! I'd love to have a look at your all favorite list too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I see books like - A Fine Balance, A o GG, Pope Joan, The Kite Runner and Harry Potter, I think I should check out some of your other favorite books, soon. Although I didn't love P&P or Wuthering Heights - too Olde English-y, I'm planning on reading Jane Eyre this summer. I may have been too young for Wuthering Heights, high school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of the list I've only read Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. I feel so left out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would definitely recommend Libba Bray's series, starting with A Great and Terrible Beauty. I myself was drooling for the final book and left dazed for days after completing it as it was actually over. *sniff-sniff*

    My ritual begins for Breaking Dawn...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Now I know where to go to find a good suggestion of what to read next! This is your cousin, Heidi Clawson Llewellyn, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also loved Ender's Game and Pride & Prejudice. The few others I've read that you list I have enjoyed except Kite Runner. Too depressing for me. I just started The Book Thief so hopefully it's a good one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read The Far Pavilions along time ago (back in high school) and really liked it. Have you read Shadow of the Moon also by M.M. Kaye. It's a real chunkster just like The Far Pavilions but if I remember right, I think I liked it even better. I also read Katherine in high school and loved it. I should read all of these again and see what I think now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREAT list!

    You and I have similar taste in books, as I see from browsing around your blog and from reading this list.

    Have you read East of Eden? It's probably my #1 favorite book of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alison, yes I do love East of Eden, and have actually read it twice. Great one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Suey--I just discovered your blog today and am enjoying reading around in it. Happy to see someone else out there loves The Good Earth, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been looking for a good Thomas Hardy book. You just gave me an idea. Thanks a lot for your list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we must be kindred spirits, as Anne Shirley would say. I just found your blog and am simply delighted. I would be honored if you would visit my blog some day... libraryteri.wordpress.com. I love that you include children's books in your list of favorites. I will continue to visit this site.... Thanks for your contribution to the literary world!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails