Monday, April 21, 2014

Book Review Discussion: Evertrue by Brodi Ashton

Book: Evertrue by Brodi Ashton
Genre: YA paranormal
Rating:★★★★☆
For: Fun, Supporting Local Authors
From: Bought at the launch party

Short Synopsis: This is the third book in the series. Nikki's goal is to destory the Everneath, the world down under. She figures that if she can accomplish this, everything will go back to normal and she will be saved from the curse she's under to become an Everliving herself. Jack will help her do anything. But it remains to be seen if Cole will do anything but thwart her in her desires.

My Response: I enjoyed this one better then the second book. That one left me in quite the fog. But this one was pretty good and I understood, mostly, what was going on. I enjoy the surface much better than the Everneath scenes. That Everneath place confuses me like crazy! But anyway, there was a surprising turn of events that moved the plot along, one that just made me want to say... really? I mean, I was sort of glad about it and sort of bugged. And I'm sorry, I can't tell you more because it's too spoilery (though I know some of you would come right out and discuss this one!) Anyway. I liked how it all ended, but still, not sure if I liked the way we got there!

Bottom Line: I enjoyed it! I enjoyed the whole series!

Let's Talk About It: This series is based on the myth about Persephone, and I'm not at all familiar with that. Anyone? Something about the underworld and her spending time there to atone for... something. Anyway, I sort of wish I knew more about this to help me understand things better, but still, I'm not sure it would have helped. What do you think? Do you think that knowing the story a book was based on enhances your enjoyment of said book?

Other Reviews:

FINALLY! A trilogy conclusion that doesn’t leave me disappointed or completely disinterested! From Working for the Mandroid

In Evertrue, we get it the whole enchilada -- the romance and the scheming and the action and a little bit of angst and quite a bit of gallows humor, which I loved. From YA Romantics

I finished this book within hours and I had wished it was longer. The book is fast paced and full of action, adventure, and love. From Books With Bite

5 comments:

  1. Hades, Lord of the Underworld, kidnapped Persephone and took her to the underworld. After a series of events, Hades agrees to let Persephone go to the surface for a few months every year, and that is why we have summer or spring or whatever.

    I think knowing the original story definitely enhances the book. It is fun to know the similarities and differences. I like to look for elements of the real story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never eat when in Hades! That was Persephone's mistake.

    This is also the foundational myth behind of Aimee Carter's The Goddess Test series of books only in hers, "Hades" is a tragic romantic hero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First. That spoilery bit you're talking about. I know how you feel, I really do. BUT, I didn't mind it. Because I still kept second guessing. And, I like learning more about the said spoilery ...

    Now, to your discussion. I think it depends. In Everneath's et al case, I would've enjoyed it just as much as I did had I not known the Hades/Persephone myth. In fact, I forgot a lot of the details until the characters talked about it in the books. So, I just think it depends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for explanations on the myth everyone! It does sound like a fascinating one indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did like the series and I liked the twist in the plot at the end. I thought the ending was great! I didn't like the cover art. In my imagination Nikki never looked like that girl.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails