Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Review: Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Book: Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: ****
For: Fun
From: The Library

I think it just has to be said right here that I need to read a Robin Hood rendition at least once a year. I guess this one can be it for this year! (Though I may need more than one!) I loved this take on the story, and was captivated from the get go. Awesome fun story.

So I think it's no spoiler that the twist  for this particular Robin Hood retelling is that Will Scarlet is actually a girl. Yes, and the whole merry band knows this and yes, they all seem to have a crush on her. But the REAL question is, who does she like the best? Robin or John? :)

Her past is a bit mysterious but is slowly revealed to us as the story goes on. And that's where the really interesting stuff starts happening. Ah, so fun! What is it about this story that gets me every time? The adventure? The romance? The swashbuckle? The boys? The villains? You know, of course, that it's all of it, and this story had all that.

In fact, it had a really familiar feeling to it because was much like the BBC show that I loved/love.  But then again, I probably just made it be that way in my head. These characters, however, were much younger. So that was interesting and different. But there was a Guy of Gisborne, and not all Robin Hood stories have him. And of course you know what I made him look like in my head:


But he was a real bad dude, and I'm not sure he's going to show any good side at all like the above one does now and then. And I say going to... because I'm quite certain there's more to come, and we haven't seen the last of any of them yet.

Well...so.... there's not much more to add besides the fact that this was a Robin Hood story and...

Bottom Line: I loved it!

Other Reviews:

Proud Book Nerd
The Story Girl
Emily's Reading Room



15 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad to hear you loved this one! I keep meaning to read it but haven't found the time in my busy reading schedule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie: It's a quick read, and like I said, if you love Robin Hood stuff... you'll love it.

      Delete
  2. Glad you got around to this one, Suey. I loved it. We Robin Hood addicts must stick together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo! Another Scarlet convert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get another Robin Hood book read - definitely so you can do it for Classic Double Challenge :) I loved this one too. I totally need to read more Robin Hood books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa: I will get to one I hope. I keep forgetting about the Classics Double thing! Dang.

      Delete
  5. I've read several reviews and can't wait to read this one. I've ordered it from the library. It should come in any day now. *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still can't believe you got this one from the library. As soon as I have a chance I'd like to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny: I know! Weird right? I hope you get to it soon.

      Delete
  7. Yay! I completely agree. Except I'm definitely reading another Robin Hood retelling this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to read this one. I'm a new follower - hopped over from a Pinterest pin - how cool is that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura: That is SO VERY cool! Thanks for letting me know. I'm hoping Pinterest can draw some new followers.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails